This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching Phonon backend from GStreamer to VLC

The reason being partly "because it's there," I decided to switch Phonon's backend from GStreamer to VLC on my ThinkPad X1. It was, let's say, not quite so easy as a simple one-package install followed by a configuration change.

First I purged Kamoso, because it has a hard dependency on GStreamer. Then, in anticipation of trouble and thinking it might help the transition go more smoothly, I purged Amarok, Bangarang, and KMPlayer (all of which I've been experimenting with in vain effort to find one missing but important feature). I followed that with an autoremove.

Next, before removing phonon-backend-gstreamer, I installed phonon-backend-vlc. I switched Phonon's configuration to use VLC. I rebooted. I installed Bangarang. And I had no sound and no images. Movies would appear to play (the progress bar marched forward), but the window was empty and the speakers were quiet. Also, I had no event sounds. But aplay in a command window could play .WAV files just fine.

Thinking there was a conflict, I purged phonon-backend-gstreamer and its zillion no-longer-necessary dependents, including the good/bad/ugly plugins. Everything in libav-tools remained, of course, since VLC relies on those. But I was still unable to get audio or video files to play. Starting Bangarang from a command prompt revealed an error indicating that it was having trouble finding the codecs.

I searched around for any obvious left-over configuration files that might be pointing to the now non-existent GStreamer backend. Finding nothing, I decided to go one step further in the cleanup. I installed phonon-backend-null and rebooted. Then I purged the VLC backend, all of LibAV, and all of their dependencies. This required several runs, actually, because after each purge, deborphan would indicate a few more libs could go. I stopped once it showed no more orphans -- I wanted to ensure that every bit of multimedia was good and gone.

Then I re-installed the VLC backend, reinstalled LibAV, and switched many of LibAV's components to the "extra" versions. I rebooted, and during shutdown, KDE sang its logoff sound -- woo hoo! All is right with the universe once again. Bangarang merrily played everything I threw at it.

The real reason for switching, though, is because -- as much as I want to use a KDE-native media player -- all of them are missing an important feature: adjustable playback speed. I've downloaded a few hundred videos in .MP4 format that I want to get through: TED talks, Intelligence Squared debates, that sort of thing. I like to view these at 1.5X normal speed. The VLC media player can do this; the others don't. And since VLC can also provide backend services to Phonon, it seems sensible to go that route.

The VLC backend also fixed one other oddity: fast-forward. For some reason, none of the KDE-native media players could fast-forward through movies viewed over a network connection (in my case, an Smb4K mount to my Windows Home Server). Fast-forward simply didn't work. But with the VLC backend, fast-forward works fine.

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    The VLC media player can do this; the others don't. And since VLC can also provide backend services to Phonon, it seems sensible to go that route.
    You truly are the entertainer at the end of the universe! A lesser man would just have installed VLC and not even thought about changing the Phonon backend...
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
      You truly are the entertainer at the end of the universe! A lesser man would just have installed VLC and not even thought about changing the Phonon backend...
      LOL

Equally important was my quest to fix the fast-forward problem. I'm tempted to try returning to GStreamer to see if the problem comes back...

Comment

The real reason for switching, though, is because -- as much as I want to use a KDE-native media player -- all of them are missing an important feature: adjustable playback speed. I've downloaded a few hundred videos in .MP4 format that I want to get through: TED talks, Intelligence Squared debates, that sort of thing. I like to view these at 1.5X normal speed. The VLC media player can do this; the others don't.
        I've just found another media player that supports adjustable playback speed - UMplayer. It's a Qt front-end for Mplayer, and is available from getdeb.
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks for the tip! Will check that out.

Comment

VLC has always been my favorite media play, but for more reasons that that. It also streams media as well. And, it can "unlock" back doors to media streams. When BP was showing video streams from the submersible robots they only showed what they wanted to the public to see. With VLC I was able to access the servers that supplied the streams, those behind the gatekeepers that restricted public view. That was how I was able to see the damage on the floor of the ocean, and the huge fountain gushing to the surface, and the damage to the ecology at all levels, from the surface to the sea floor, and the fact that the tenders were on the edge of the shelf more than 100 yards from point directly over the well head.

It's a nice, little tool.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There's smplayer , also a mplayer frontend.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	smplayer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	640029
              It's capable of changing playback speed, and a little more lighweight than vlc
              sigpic

Comment

I wonder with all gstreamer plugins removed, Libre Office Impress will still have audio.

Comment

Working...
                X