This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on All-in-One computers

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question!

My partner is thinking of getting a new "box" and is contemplating an All-in-One box (for example, possibly, Asus EeeTop ET2011EGT-B056E All-in-One PC (Intel Pentium E5800 3.20GHz, RAM 4GB, HDD 500GB (which comes with Windows7), but there are other options, some much more humble).

The question is this
    :- does Kubuntu support the "touch screen" elements of these new configurations. I've read about Plasma mobile, but cannot see whether it will run on these all-in-one desktop machines. Can anybody give any indications? It would be nice to have the touch-screen facility as well as the keyboard. I'm using a ASUS Transformer for mobile work, but as yet Kubuntu won't run on the Nvidia Tegra chip; SAD,

Re: Kubuntu on All-in-One computers

You will likely want to research and follow the progress of a project called Touchégg.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu on All-in-One computers

PhilT,

That is not a stupid question at all. I have asked it myself and SR gave, basically, the same response.

MY TAKE ON IT:

Since Ubu has spent so much time and street cred on Unity.....I, personally, think that the "touchscreen" capability has to be not on the front burner but AHEAD of the front burner....

Here is an image that appeared a short while ago:

[img width=400 height=224]http://mos.futurenet.com/techradar/Review%20images/Linux%20Format/LXF%20152/LXF152.feat_desktopwarz.gnomeshell_touch-420-90.jpg[/img]

There was an article

IN OUR LOCAL FISH WRAPPER..... asking......"should 'you' purchase a low priced laptop or a tablet?"

The point of that being..... that if now in midwest U.S. a newspaper thingks that people should be considering at least the possibility of a tablet....then the Ubu powers that be ....SHOULD.....HAVE to have this on their front and foremost...

if they do not then they will "miss the boat"....and Android and Win7/8 and Apple will have the show.

So....that is my "take" on "when the capability will be there" you have to decide on the cost now as opposed to when Ubu will get it going.

OH MY GAWD...I just remembered........the touchscreen computer FOR THE STATE's KENO system....at the bar at my "genulman's club" uses some kind of Ubu as the "base system" because it does load through GRUB ( I posted that a few months ago).

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
      X