This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontact apps sometimes work sometimes don't continuing

This is probably going to be a confusing thread because since I am constantly fiddling with Kontact, I'll be posting when something is working or not working with the date.

If ANYONE else makes such an observation please post it because I may have not noticed it.

This actually follows on a discussion of Akonadi.

Apparently there is a bug
    , as of this writing in the INTERFACE of the akonadi mail app in that it has two input boxes, one for the email address and the password, but there is no box to choose the available calendar(s).

There is a lot of discussion about this on the web and it focuses on not being able to get at the calendar that is wanted and that the app defaults to the first, generic, unused, calendar.

The problem recently has been lack of a box to navigate past the first.

second situation now is that Akregator
    which was not running last month is, as of this date running in Kontact.

Monday December 05 2011

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: Kontact apps work then don't work possibly continuing commentary

I dunno what's up with Akonadi and its hangers-on. I've taken all the usual steps to disable the services in the rc files, yet my .xsession-errors file is filled with, well, errors. For example, the following section is repeated several times:

Code:
    ProcessControl: Application 'akonadiserver' returned with exit code 255 (Unknown error)
    search paths: ("/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/bin", "/usr/sbin", "/usr/bin", "/sbin", "/bin", "/usr/games",
    "/usr/sbin", "/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/libexec", "/usr/libexec", "/opt/mysql/libexec",
    "/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin", "/opt/mysql/sbin") 
    Found mysql_install_db: "/usr/bin/mysql_install_db" 
    Found mysqlcheck: "/usr/bin/mysqlcheck" 
    Failed to use database "akonadi" 
    Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    '/home/steve/.local/share/akonadi/socket-steve-mini/mysql.socket' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect" 
    Trying to create database now... 
    QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'initConnection' is still in use,
    all queries will cease to work.
    Database error: Cannot open database.
    Last driver error: "QMYSQL: Unable to connect"
    Last database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    '/home/steve/.local/share/akonadi/socket-steve-mini/mysql.socket' (2)"
    Unable to open database "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    '/home/steve/.local/share/akonadi/socket-steve-mini/mysql.socket' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"
    "[
    0: akonadiserver() [0x805a6d5]
    1: akonadiserver() [0x805aaa1]
    2: [0xdbb400]
    3: [0xdbb416]
    4: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x4f) [0x9bac8f]
    5: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(abort+0x175) [0x9be2b5]
    6: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtCore.so.4(_Z17qt_message_output9QtMsgTypePKc+0x136) [0x3ce236]
    7: akonadiserver() [0x805c1d8]
    8: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN9QIODevice5writeEPKcx+0xc9) [0x467ea9]
    9: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtCore.so.4(+0xfac57) [0x471c57]
    10: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtCore.so.4(_ZN11QTextStreamD1Ev+0x3e) [0x47b75e]
    11: akonadiserver() [0x805e30c]
    12: akonadiserver() [0x805f516]
    13: akonadiserver() [0x8055900]
    14: /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf3) [0x9a6113]
    15: akonadiserver() [0x8056241]
    ]
    Akonadi does not appear in ps -ef. ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc contains the line StartServer=false. But it's still trying to do something, at least during boot.

(Ubuntu 12.04 alpha 1, updated today, KDE manually installed from repos.)

Comment

I did the "distro" upgrade on the toshiba lappy and it almost was non-functional and ran at the speed of a snail with Adonadi running, when I disabled Akonadi, the "upgraded" distro now runs about the speed of a turtle, it is just a little less than than non-functional.

I am really glad that I didn't do the upgrade on the tower because it is as snappy as can be, as the distro was on the lappy. Dunno either.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Try this:

$ sudo -i
        # cd /
        # for i in `find -iname '*akonadi*'`; do rm -rfv $i; done

I tried that last night on my experiMini. The desktop appears noticeably quicker after logon, my .xsession-errors file is smaller than its ever been, and, so far, nothing appears to be broken. (I haven't installed the KDEPIM package on this computer; nevertheless, bits of Akonadi appear from kdepim-runtime, which is a dependency of various Plasma packages.)

Comment

willdo
          woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

two items:

a) removal of akonadi removes Kontact so that was a no go, however, after some updates the lappy is running somewhat better.

b) Akregator in Kontact is now not providing feeds!

I don't know, it just seems that depending on the day of the week some apps work and then they don't and next week they do and then don't.

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

well, Akregator is working today!

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

It's obvious, woodsmoke. Today your garage door is pointing in the correct direction and the clock on your mantle is chiming purple.

Comment

lol
                  woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

woodsmoke have you tried the kubuntu low fat settings package? it might help on more on your resource starved machine.
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hi sithlord.

No, I haven't because I use the capabilities of Kubu a lot.
                      I have plenty of memory, and have the setting high.
                      The lappy itself has never been a problem, the going and coming of Akregator happens on both the lappy and the tower at random times.
                      The akonadi sync with gmail has never worked on either machine, and it seems to be a known bug, but others have said they have it going so...don't know.

The reason for the running narration is mainly to see if anyone else "happens" to have the same problem that I might have and that might indicate changes upstream, or wherever, as opposed to a situation with my machine.

thanks for the comment though.

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Sithlord,
                        as I muse a little on this, I think that you are probably correct. I do not remember Akregator not working in Kontact on my desktop machine which had 2 gig of memory.
                        thanks for the comment.
                        woodsmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Re: Kontact apps sometimes work sometimes don't continuing

Akregator seems to be continually working using my desktop machine, I think Sithlord was correct in his comment about the amount of memory.

Ktimetracker is not working as of this date, it was working fine a couple of weeks ago.

There was a big set of updates to Kontact day before yesterday.

In another thread ( on Ktimetracker) there is a link to what is now being lableed a bug.

woodsmoke
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Kontact is working completely, but for some reason when I check the mail, Kontact(not Kmail) pops a message saying:

"unknown error 9: failed to fetch item from backend'.

And immediately after that a notification window that says: Google mail: the server returned invalid data.

And then it fetches the e-mail.

As I said, Kontact is completely functional.

So, there is something going on with the Akonadai setup I think, only I just don't know what.

woodsmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

There were a bunch of updates as of about two hours before this post.

There is now no complaint from "the back end".

woodsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X