X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.4.2 on Lucid 10.04 non responsive

Hi

I have been using Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 for while. Now suddenly, my desktop is unresponsive. I cannot click on anything. Did i corrupt some KDE file? Any way i can get it back working?

Please advice.

Thanks
    Venkat

Re: KDE 4.4.2 on Lucid 10.04 non responsive

Reboot. At the KDM Login, where you type in your user password, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 instead. This will take you to a non-graphical login. Type your user name and then type in your user password.

What follows are the steps to add the repository for KDE 4.4.5, which you really should upgrade to, as KDE 4.4.2 isn't nearly as stable.

To add the KDE 4.4.5 repository, type:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa
    You will be prompted for your password. Give it and the repository will be added.

Then type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    This refreshes the package cache (necessary after any changes to your sources (repositories).

Then type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    This looks for new software (upgrades), lists them, and asks if you wish to install.
    Answering 'Y' will begin the download of all the upgradeable (and new) packages used in KDE 4.4.5. It will be a large download, so be patient.

Once the download and installation is completed, reboot. Type:
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    After you login, you will be running KDE 4.4.5. Open any GUI application - Konqueror say - and click on Help > About KDE and you should see Platform Version 4.4.5 (KDE 4.4.5) You should find that everything is working much better.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X