Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] How can I restore the default KDE look of the Login Screen window?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How can I restore the default KDE look of the Login Screen window?

Hi all. After upgrading to KDE 4.5, the login screen at startup didn't preselect my username as it used to by default.

I followed the exchange in this thread http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...8181#msg238181, and gave the suggested command:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R kdm:kdm /var/lib/kdm
    It did its job, indeed. But, after that, every time I go to System Settings>Login Screen I get a rather "GNOMish" window (please, see snapshot attached). What's stranger is that I don't have GNOME as a desktop environment installed. Does anyone know how to revert it back to its default look, please? Many thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Re: How can I restore the default KDE look of the Login Screen window?

Run systemsettings as root (right-click on desktop > Run Command, enter kdesudo systemsettings).
    Go to Appearance > Style and select Oxgen style.
    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Originally posted by lelamal
      Hi all. After upgrading to KDE 4.5, the login screen at startup didn't preselect my username as it used to by default.
      Just goto System Settings - Login Screen - Convenience and specified a user on preselect user.

Attached Files
      ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

@Yuri sss: Thanks, I followed your directions. Do you mean Widget style? It already reads Oxygen.
        @ubuntuku: it was exactly that to have changed after the upgrade, causing the system "amnesia" although no setting had been altered. Thanks anyway.

Comment

I opened a twin thread on KDE Community Forums, and I've learnt this issue affects other windows as well, such as User Management and Software Sources. Now I want to share the solution that was given to me. To solve this issue, open a terminal window, and type:
          Code:
          kdesudo kcmshell4 style
          A new window named Style - KDE Control Module opens, where one should change the style to Oxygen. In my case, Widget style already read Oxygen. Before giving up, I changed the style to Plastique, then back to Oxygen. That fixed each window affected by this issue.

I suspect Yuri sss's advice was going in the same direction, but I gave up before checking whether switching style back and fro would make a difference. Thanks anyway!

Comment

Working...
          X