This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kwin Crash after login (KDE SC 4.5)

Today i upgrade to KDE SC 4.5 and i got 134 packages blocked then i make dist-upgrade and after fix the broken packages.I got 100 packages blocked then i fix again the broken packages and it was seems to be fine but when I reboot my computer and i login ...
    Nothing but a black and after some test i got a wallpaper think it was the default theme for SC 4.5
    and I get the message saying that Kwin crash
    Please help
    A veteran Acer aspire 5100 AMD Turion 64 mobile tech <br />2 Go Ram _DD 80 GO<br />Kubuntu Karmic 9.10 KDE SC 4.4/Kubuntu Karmic 10.04 KDE SC 4.5

Re: Kwin Crash after login (KDE SC 4.5)

For such cases, in which Kde got messed up from a bad update, it's best to have a second environment installed (e.g. Gnome, Xfce etc.)
    You can then log-in to the alternative desktop, run Synaptic and reinstall the packages that don't work properly (in this case, kde-window-manager).

If you don't know if you have an alternative desktop installed, boot to the Kdm login window where you enter your user name and password, click on the arrow pointing downwards in the lower left corner and tell me what entries you have there.
    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Thank you Yuri sss
      I want To know what version from what source and why Kde-windows-manager and not Kwin who is also in the sources
      A veteran Acer aspire 5100 AMD Turion 64 mobile tech <br />2 Go Ram _DD 80 GO<br />Kubuntu Karmic 9.10 KDE SC 4.4/Kubuntu Karmic 10.04 KDE SC 4.5

Comment

Originally posted by dijada972
        Thank you Yuri sss
        I want To know what version from what source and why Kde-windows-manager and not Kwin who is also in the sources
        The package name changed for 4.5.0. If you select kwin in Synaptic, you'll see that it's only a transistory package anymore which does nothing but installing the new kde-windows-manager package.
        The current version is 4:4.5.0b-0ubuntu1~lucid1~ppa2, and it's installed from the Kubuntu Kde backports repository:
        ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
        Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

I try install the kde-window-manager but this don't solve my issue
          So I try install the 'kdebase' pack
          but i get nothing and when i try with the f option i get an error for some broke package even dpkg don't fix it.

Comment

Working...
          X