Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different file managers for kde and gnome?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different file managers for kde and gnome?

I noticed something today I haven't seen before. I have both gnome and kde installed on the same system. If I try to open a directory (i.e. Home folder) in gnome, it brings up dolphin instead of nautilus. Ideally, I would like to have gnome use nautilus and kde use dolphin, but I must have messed something up somewhere, because now it's one or the other file manager for both. Whatever I set in kde Systemsettings > Default Applications > File Manager is used by both desktops.
    Anyone know if there is a fix for this?
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Different file managers for kde and gnome?

i couldent offer a fix but I will say that my Gnome login sems to be borked as well for some reason I cant fathom at the moment.
    I havent loged in to it in a long time and when I just did to see about your problem I have discoverd mine

I get nautilus no prob but compiz is eating the CPU 98%+
    no maximize,minimize,or exit buttons on windows or borders so thay cant be resized by draging.
    the pager on the bottom panel wouldent work.......and when I opend a terminal to kill compiz and typed "exit" afterwords it staed in the bottom panel and wouldent go away.......all in all every thing was acting bugey as heck ......and I never did find a seting for default filemanager

sorey no help .....but dont feal alone...... in your dismay

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I too, had a lot of problems with my computer having both Gnome and KDE installed. Even when using gnome, KDE would cause my xsession to crash. I spent may hours studying the .xsessions-errors file trying to fix it. I finally had to totally remove KDE entirely from my system, to include all the config files and kdm instances to get my computer back to operating normally. Konqueror was one of the problems. I think that it was set as the default in KDE and that caused a lot of the issues when running Gnome. In the future I intend to have two distinct and separate installations on different partitions with a third partition for all of my data files.

Comment

I have both Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed on separate partitions. That way if one crashes I have the other to rely on.

In fact just today, Ubuntu's Brasero refused to work with the latest Lucid daily iso, so I fired up Kubuntu and used K3B. K3B has never failed.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

I have gnome, kde, xfce, and lxde installed. Gnome is there because some people I (try to) help use it, and I need that hands-on experience. I think one of the problems is gnome and kde are both using ~/.config, where the default file manager gets listed. I may try making separate .config's and see if that fools it, or maybe different user logins. Other than that, they both seem to be co-existing fairly well.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I'm thinking of using virtualbox and installing Kubuntu there. That should resolve the conflicts.

Comment

Working...
            X