This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KSplashx appearing before KDM

Okay, dist-upgraded to KDE 4.4.0 this evening. All is well, except for the fact that a portion of the KSplashx splash screen is overlaying the KDM login screen. It's the element that contains the fading in five icons. Only the first icon begins to appear, but never appears completely. I can click the mouse on the screen and this partial KSplashx splash screen goes away and I'm presented with my KDM login screen and I login.

I can't figure out where this is coming from. I've cleared all the cache files, both my own user and roots. What I can't fathom, is why any portion of the KSplashx splash screen is appearing before the KDM login has been processed.

Any ideas?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: KSplashx appearing before KDM

With the Kubuntu 9.10; Grub > Usplash > KsplashX (1) > KDM > KsplashX (2) /1/,/2/.

The Xsetup has as default:
    Code:
    cat /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup
    #! /bin/sh
    # Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears

#xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail -file /dev/xconsole &

# Kubuntu needs boot splash starting, KDM will kill it when it is running
    if ! grep -q ^AutoLoginEnable=true /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc; then
    ksplashx Default &
    fi

Try to comment out the ksplashx part.

Links:
    /1/ > Kubuntu Karmic Xsplash
    /2/ > Topic: KDM from 4.3.1
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Checked that. Even went as far as modifying the file line:

ksplashx Default &
      to read:

ksplashx Dragon &
      as Dragon is my custom KSplashx Theme. But there is still a partial KSplashx splash screen that is overlaying the KDM Login screen.

Also to note: The KDM Login screen and KSplash splash screen capture script you helped us with, doesn't capture what I actually see - the first captured image is all black!

Comment

The first KsplashX problem with the Karmic could be:

The Karmic is using a patched kdm /1/.
        Patch KDM to use the code from KSMServer::upAndRunning when its greeter is shown.
        Maybe the devs have been forget this - backport hickup ? - the Lynx does't use the KsplashX twice.

Have you tried to comment out (disable) the ksplashx part from the /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup ?

Comment

Giving that a try. Will report back on the results.

Comment

The KDM Login screen and KSplash splash screen capture script you helped us with, doesn't capture what I actually see - the first captured image is all black!
            Try to without the &;
            Code:
            ksplashx Dragon
            Edit - should be:
            Code:
            # xwd call 
            /usr/local/bin/snap
            Then the script will capture only the first KsplashX

Or take the "sleep 1" off from the capture script. Then the capturing will work as fast it can write to the disk.

Comment

Commented my /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup file so it looks now:
              #! /bin/sh
              # Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears

#xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail -file /dev/xconsole &

# Kubuntu needs boot splash starting, KDM will kill it when it is running
              # if ! grep -q ^AutoLoginEnable=true /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc; then
              # ksplashx Dragon &
              # ksplashx Default &
              #fi

# xwd call
              /usr/local/bin/snap &
              (my commented lines with #)

Rebooted and the problem is no more. As I understand the purpose of this file, it is to run the kdmrc, followed by the ksplashx IF autologin has been enabled. IF that is true, why is the ksplashx line (apparently) being run at all here, as I don't have autologin enabled? This file is what I was using before upgrading to KDE 4.4.0 this evening. The upgrade even told me that this file had been modified and did I want to keep it (Yes, thank you), and this behavior wasn't happening in KDE 4.3.5.

Is this, as you suggest, a bug that's been reintroduced with KDE 4.4.0? I'll leave this file as it is now, but I'd like to know if I could 'selectively' comment parts of it instead.

Comment

Working...
              X