X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove rogue plasma widget - SOLVED

Hi all

Some time back (in jaunty days actually) for a bit of fun I installed the weather plasma widget. After not too long I removed it (or thought I had) as it was very hit and miss about connecting and it held up the display of icons on the desktop.

I'm now running KDE4.4 beta 2. and am now finding the same desktop behaviour - From the presentation of the desktop it then takes about 10-14 seconds for the icons to appear. I put this down simply to "beta" behaviour. Last night, however, I thought I would have a play again with the weather widget. On choosing "add widget" anbd searching for it I was somewhat surprised to find it shown to be already running! However, it's not visible on any desktop whether I select the folder view or desktop.

Does anyone have an ideas of how I can purge the system of this, short of an entire reconfiguring of the desktop? Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Ian

Re: Remove rogue plasma widget

go to add widget - scroll down to it - if it is running there will be a red bar next to it - click on the red bar and it should kill it
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks - but I'm running the 4.4 beta which has a new methodology. "Add widgets" throws up a bar running sideways across the screen above the panel. Items that are running are shown with a "tick" - you can specifically search for runners.

Take the anaolg clock for example, you can type analog in the search box, it then appears in the bar and you then drag the item to the desktop. It seems the only way to remove it is to click on the "X" on the widget itself. However, it seems that even removing it doesn't stop it running, as I've just demonstrated to myself with the analog clock - it still ran even after removal! Weird.

So the problem with the weather widget is it's running, but I can't see it and to all intents and purposes there seems to be no (GUI) way to stop it running at KDE startup.

I'm assuming it's a bug but if you know of any way to stop this ghost running a startup I'd be much obliged

Comment

Oops, sorry. I'm still on the old fashioned 4.3.4

Was it installed separately? All I can think of without knowing more is removing the widget from the system altogether... dpkg -l|grep widget or weather or some such might shed some light on the matter?
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad

Was it installed separately? All I can think of without knowing more is removing the widget from the system altogether... dpkg -l|grep widget or weather or some such might shed some light on the matter?
          No, it was just in the standard widget set - installed (and removed) whilst using jaunty. So it seems to have survived both an upgrade to KK and an upgrade to KDE 4.4.

As it's such a tough blighter and as the system seems to have it running anyway I might as well give it a second chance and see if it works better than it used to. It obviously doesn't as it must be showing the worng info - at Mid-day it's got my home town (Manchester) at -12 degrees centigrade and sunny

Comment

-12 degrees in Mancland lol

Next time you're in the Peveril of the Peak have a pint for me

Anyway, a
            Code:
            locate weather|grep plasmoid
            should tell you where the bugger is hiding. Following that I'd advise a good kicking with rm -r and it shouldn't bother you ever again.

Comment

BTW, even if you get rid of the errant widget, you may still have a chance to know which way the wind is blowing without being a weatherman (obscure reference to ancient American pop star). At least on KDE 4.3, there are a number of different weather plasmoids. Check KDE-Look if they haven't yet reached Kubuntu.

Comment

I think I have done this one to death, or maybe it's the other way round.

I tried Toads code in a terminal and I didn't get anything at all, just a straightforward command prompt, so I think it is genuinely not there, although KDE still has it running. Very weird indeed. Perhaps my laptop needs an exorcism

Hey, I wouldn't call Dylan ancient - I'm not too far behind him you know

Comment

Bob Dylan: hero.

Anyway, it might be called something else, the plasmoid I mean. And I forgot that you may have to build your database first! So do a
                  Code:
                  sudo updatedb
                  It will take a while, but is just about one of the most useful methods of finding stuff on your computer. Now you can use locate name_of_file or part thereof or whatever and it will be up in a jiffy. After every major install or before you need to locate something, rebuild your database.

Now type
                  Code:
                  locate weather
                  Something might come up that looks remotely like a plasmoid or a widget. If there are too many answers use "| grep filter" as I indicated in my last post:
                  Code:
                  locate weather|grep plasmoid
                  You get the jist...

Comment

In case you actually want to see all the choices, but don't want them to fly by, you can also try the command sequence
                    Code:
                    sudo updatedb
                    locate weather|less
                    "less" is an improved "more" for reading large masses of input at the command line. You will need it because (at least on my machine) there seem to be a large number of icons for various meteorological conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by toad

Next time you're in the Peveril of the Peak have a pint for me
                      Not been in there for many a year but it is still there. How long since you were up here?

Anyway, back to topic, with your latest advice I found a very crude effective fix. I found a reference to the weather plasmoid in /usr/share/kde4/services. I moved it to the wastebin and logged out then back in. The widget menu showed it was no longer running (in fact it was no longer there!). I then restored it from the wastebin and it was back in the menu and not running. I then launched it and closed it off again. When I reopened the menu it was shown as available but inactive so this actually solved the problem.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Re: Remove rogue plasma widget - SOLVED

Ah, life without a registry - bliss!

Spent six years of my life in Manchester and the Peak District. Used to work for the British Council in the days it was still in Spring Gardens (the old gas works on the south western part of central Manchester). The Peveril was the preferred watering hole in them days before I chucked it all in and went across the road to the University of Manchester. But to answer your question: My last pint in the Peveril was about two months ago I always enjoyed their life music impromptus on Tuesdays

edit: typo

Comment

Working...
                        X