Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Opera still in the partner repository?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Opera still in the partner repository?

I just tried to install the Opera browser on an 8.04 and a 9.04 system but got a "Package opera has no installation candidate" error. Is Opera not in the repositories any more?

According to the Ubuntu documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OperaBrowser a normal installation is supposed to work:
    1/ put "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ hardy partner" in sources.list (jaunty for the other system)
    2/ update
    3/ apt-get install opera

For me, it doesn't.

Re: Is Opera still in the partner repository?

Download Opera browser
    For *buntu versions 8.10 through 10.04
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Merry Christmas Snowhog.
      Thanks, and I will try that next. However I still wonder what's happening with the repositories.

Comment

Opera isn't available in 9.04 either - Synaptic doesn't even list it. But, you can add the Opera repository and get it:

deb http://deb.opera.com/opera RELEASE non-free
        (Replace "RELEASE" with the release name of your system: Hardy, Intrepid, ...)

See Can I install Opera from a repository?

Scroll down to:

For other Debian-based distros, you can use Opera's repository to ensure that your system will always have the latest stable Opera version. Simply add the following line to your sources.list:

and follow the instructions for getting/installing the GPG key.

Comment

Yes, that's what I'm going to do.

It's just funny that the Ubuntu instructions would be so specific about 8.04 and 9.04 if it wasn't there. I'm guessing that they didn't get around to changing the documentation after the program was delisted for some reason. But why would Opera be removed? Is there some new "partner" problem that I haven't read about?

Comment

Sorry, I got confused. When I said "that's what I'll do", I meant go to the Opera site and do it their way.

The real answer to "Can I install Opera from a repository?" is NO if we're talking about Canonical. I've tried the repository suggested by Opera which is "ubuntu hardy partner" and the one which the Ubuntu documention indicates which is "hardy partner" and neither one of them work. Yes, I am quite familiar with how to add repositories and install software that way, but I honestly don't think that Opera is available for (K)ubuntu outside of direct download of the package from the Opera site.

Comment

I would suggest that you report the problem with the Community Documentation page for Opera to Ubuntu >> “ubuntu-docs” >> package >> Bugs

Comment

Working...
              X