Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma borked after 4.4 beta 2 upgrade (Resolved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma borked after 4.4 beta 2 upgrade (Resolved)

After upgrading to 4.4 beta 2, plasma doesn't show anymore. I say show because the process is running but there's no interface visible. Most other programs seem to work, launched from krunner. Kwin effects are also active, just plasma. Killing and restarting the process does not help. There's no crash notification either. Deleting the config files or even renaming the kde folder does not remedy the situation. Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Plasma borked after 4.4 beta 2 upgrade

You are aware, that KDE 4.4 beta 2 is not suitable for everyday or production use?

See Re: KDE SC 4.4 Beta 1 is here!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

After upgrading to 4.4 beta 2, plasma doesn't show anymore. I say show because the process is running but there's no interface visible. Most other programs seem to work, launched from krunner. Kwin effects are also active, just plasma. Killing and restarting the process does not help. There's no crash notification either. Deleting the config files or even renaming the kde folder does not remedy the situation. Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

Sorry about the double post, I was typing on opera mini on my phone since the main net connection was down. Still no help?

Comment

Check this post.

I just had the same problem, and installing plasma-desktop seems to have fixed it.

Comment

This seems to be some sort of packaging problem, upgrading is not marking all the required packages (you'd think that plasma-desktop was rather important). Needs to be reported to kubuntu packagers asap.

Comment

Re: Plasma borked after 4.4 beta 2 upgrade (Resolved)

It can't be a packaging problem, if you had KDE 4.3 before the upgrade. When installing Kubuntu 9.10 with KDE 4.3 (default), plasma-desktop is already installed.
              Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Originally posted by ekeluo
                This seems to be some sort of packaging problem, upgrading is not marking all the required packages (you'd think that plasma-desktop was rather important). Needs to be reported to kubuntu packagers asap.
                Did you install kubuntu-desktop package after upgrading to KDE 4.4? If not, install it and go to the system settings/desktop settings/workspace and switch the dektop type. It will add the plasma startup entry to the autostart.

By the way, there is certainly something wrong about the kubuntu KDE 4.4 beta packages. I'm testing both the desktop and netbook editions of kubuntu but everytime I get this same annoying plasma desktop problem. Even the Lucid Lynx daily builds come without the needed "kubuntu-desktop" package, so what I get is only a black screen after login. Shouldn't lucid lynx come with "kubuntu-desktop" package installed by default?

Comment

Re: Plasma borked after 4.4 beta 2 upgrade (Resolved)

Plasma differences between the KDE 4.3/4.4

With the KDE 4.4 the plasma-desktop is packed as a separate package:

> Package: plasma-desktop
                  The KDE plasma workspace for desktop and laptop computers

Provides the environment for running and managing applications and integrating interaction of applications. It is designed as generic environment for all kinds of desktop applications, not only applications built on the KDE Platform. It integrates best with applications following the standards used by the KDE Platform.

This package provides a basic KDE Plasma Desktop installation.
                  With the KDE 4.3 the same bits and pieces are in the > Package: kdebase-workspace-bin and > Package: plasma-widgets-workspace (and maybe somewhere else ?).

Missing package plasma-desktop

It was missing but should not be any more. With the Lucid Lynx the package plasma-desktop has been part of the metapackage /1/ kubuntu-desktop:
                  rog131@alpha:~$ apt-cache show kubuntu-desktop
                  Package: kubuntu-desktop
                  Priority: optional
                  Section: metapackages
                  Source: kubuntu-meta
                  Version: 1.155
                  Replaces: kubuntu-kde4-desktop
                  Provides: kubuntu-kde4-desktop
                  Depends: alsa-base, alsa-utils, ...plasma-desktop, ...
                  This was added > [ubuntu/lucid] kubuntu-meta 1.155 (Accepted):
                  Scott Kitterman
                  Wed Dec 9 13:15:13 GMT 2009
                  Added plasma-desktop to desktop [amd64 i386]
                  The daily CD (alternate 25-Dec-2009) seems to have > Kubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) Daily Build >> lucid-alternate-i386.list:
                  /pool/main/k/kubuntu-meta/kubuntu-desktop_1.155_i386.deb
                  /pool/main/k/kdebase-workspace/plasma-desktop_4.3.85-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

If installation/upgrade is successful there should be installed package kubuntu-desktop (version: 1.155 or later) and that should install the package plasma-desktop. (are there ??)

/1/ > MetaPackages
                  Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                  1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                  2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                  X