This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change icons at Desktop Folder

I'm fairly new to KDE4 and have googled without success.

How do I change icons on the shortcuts I have on the Desktop Folder?
    (That is the square box that is at the upper left of my Desktop.)

I thought I was able to change, but what I ended up changing was the icon for the programs themselves.

I have attached the Desktop Folder in question.
    Attached Files
    Boot Info Script

Re: Change icons at Desktop Folder

Background

The "Desktop Folder" is a plasma widget folder view:
    Display the contents of folders (User's home folder a default)
    More of the plasma and plamoids > Plasma FAQ:
    What is the Folder View applet?

The Folder View applet, like its name says, is used to display items (folders, files) from a directory. Such a directory can be either a local one residing on your computer, but also a remote FTP, SSH, or SMB share. In the future, it will even contain results from Nepomuk searches and tagging.

You can choose to view either all files, or filter either by specific regular expressions (e.g., all files with a certain extension) or by file type (for example, just images).

This applet also supports basic file management properties (moving, copying, cutting and pasting for example), and you can have as many as you want on your desktop.

Lastly, you can use one Folder View as the whole desktop, effectively replicating the "old style" paradigm.

.desktop files > Topic: GtoK: .desktop files:
    ...files describing information about an application such as the name, icon, and description..

When you copy an icon from the K-Menu to the "Desktop Folder" you are copying a .desktop file from the /usr/share/applications/kde4/ to the /home/<YOUR_USERNAME>/directory/ .

If you make a link to the application it will be pointing to the original desktop file. Right click the icon > Properties > General tab (Points to: ...)

Editing

You could edit the copy of the .desktop file. Right click the icon in the "Desktop Folder"> Properties > Click the Icon...

You are editing the copy of the .desktop file in the /home/<YOUR_USERNAME>/directory...
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Change icons at Desktop Folder

Thanks for your reply. There's a lot to take in here. I have bookmarked the links and will read up on your suggestions.

I was told just to right-click the icon on my Desktop Folder. That didn't work or depending on what I linked to in there it might have worked. I was/am confused as this behavior is quite different than Gnome. It will take some getting use to.
      Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
      X