X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is one to debug Konqueror crashes?

Investigating Konqueror Bugs
    Konqueror crashes
    The most useful information you can provide in that case is a backtrace, but you need to compile KDE yourself (preferrably with --enable-debug) so the backtrace is useful, or to use development packages. Official binary packages are "stripped", so they don't contain any useful information for a backtrace.
    Now how intelligent is that! You must "compile KDE yourself (preferrably with --enable-debug) so the backtrace is useful,"! Konqeror, one of the CORE components of the KDE Desktop, and they don't have backtrace support natively available!? I've looked for a -dbg package for Konqueror, but one does not exist.

Why should a user have to compile backtrace support themselves!? Geez. :P
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: How is one to debug Konqueror crashes?

The KDE is telling > How to create useful crash reports:

Here's a list of how to obtain debug packages for some distributions:

Kubuntu/Ubuntu - The Ubuntu family makes things quite easy. Every official KDE module has an additional package in the repository, suffixed with -dbg. Always install kdelibs5-dbg, because all KDE applications use kdelibs (kdelibs-dbg for KDE 3 applications). Then you should install a -dbg package for the application which crashed. For example if KOrganizer crashed you should install kdepim-dbg as well. If the program is not from an official KDE module and has no -dbg package, you can install the -dbgsym package from the repository listed on this Debugging Program Crashes page.

> Report Kubuntu Bugs
    Debugging Packages

For a good backtrace (3 stars) you will need, at the minimum, to have kdebase-runtime-dbg and kdelibs5-dbg installed.

The Konqueror is build from the kdebase so i would try to install the Package: kdebase-dbg:
    This package contains debugging files used to investigate problems with binaries included in the KDE 4 base applications module.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thank you Rog131. I was just Googling on what KDE4 module Konqueror was in so I could install the appropriate -dbg packages. I had just installed the kdelibs5-dbg libqt4-dbg. I'm downloading/installing kdebase-dbg kdebase-runtime-dbg kdepimlibs-dbg now.

Comment

Cool. With those -dpg package installed, creating a useful bug report was a snap.

Comment

Hi,
          It is fine to know about the various types of crashes in a finest way. It will really gives the greatest ideas and thoughts in the work easily. I am very happy to know about the different aspects in the topic. This makes me more crazy.

Comment

Working...
          X