X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New desktop effects

Hi !

I am using Kubuntu 9.10. Is it possible to add extra desktop effects or to use the ones from compiz. I particulary appreciated the opacity window plugin in compiz.

Thanks

Re: New desktop effects

Hi

In System Settings -> Desktop you can choose individual effects to be on or off. There is a LOT in there.

If you want, you could install compiz-kde and try to choose it as a window manager, I am not sure how that works though

Cheers!

Comment

There is a lot in systemconfig but not the one I want. It would be great to be able to load some new efects.

I have downloaded compiz-kde but I don't know how to choose it as a window manager. I have launched compiz in konsole and it made the desktop crash

Comment

Mmm. Is there as Session type for Compiz? (in KDM, the login manager)

Comment

To change Window managers go to System Settings --> Default Applications --> Window Manager. Once there choose "Use a different window manager:". Don't know how that works (mine is grayed out as I don't have an other window managers loaded, I assume) and don't know if that is what you are after, but let me know either way.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
            To change Window managers go to System Settings --> Default Applications --> Window Manager. Once there choose "Use a different window manager:". Don't know how that works (mine is grayed out as I don't have an other window managers loaded, I assume) and don't know if that is what you are after, but let me know either way.
            Dead on! It works here with Openbox (I don't have compiz installed)

Comment

Cheers

Comment

It fails opening to Compiz window manager and reverts to kde

Comment

Is all of Compiz installed? You probably would need more than the "compiz-kde" part.

Comment

compiz, compiz core are installed

Comment

Hmmm. I've never used anything other than KWIN since KDE4 improved its compositing, so I don't know exactly what could be wrong. Let me see if I can find anything that might help.

Comment

Personnaly I used compiz when I was in KDE3 but I have switched to KDE 4.3.2 with kubuntu and i have been impressed by kwin.

I have checked and a package was missing. Now I can enable compiz but it is VERY slow each time I click on something I've got ~10 empty windows with the X logo in my taskbar. Then when reached 242 windows it stops answering...

Comment

Is there a log file for Compiz in "/var/log"? If so, does it have anything in it that might give a clue to what is happening?

Comment

No log as far as I see

EDIT : Log file is X ones /var/log/Xorg.log.0 but nothing shows up

Comment

this post is how to set up compiz, although the post is for how to in 8.10 its the same process

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...7683#msg177683
                              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                              X