This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question concerning KDE, Gnome, XFCE

I have currently kubuntu 9.04 installed. I have since added all the latest desktop environments such as Gnome & XFCE to go with the KDE that I currently have installed. When I log in, I may choose which session to run. Seems to work fine but I wanted to ask......

Questions****
    Is this a healthy set-up?

Would it be diiferent if I did a clean install of Ubuntu 9.04 on a seperate partition? Or is that the same as having Gnome installed on my Kubuntu install?

The main piece of knowledge I am seeking is if I wanted to run other flavors of buntu on my machine, would it be better to install my other flavors on their own partition, or is it just as well to have the packages in my current Kubuntu 9.04.
    System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

Re: Question concerning KDE, Gnome, XFCE

If you do not see some problem with any of your desktop environments, then it is fine. There is nothing "wrong" with setting up your system to run the different desktops if you want to do that.

Comment

The only difference is that your home folder is shared so documents etc will be present for both desktop environments. Usually having multiple desktop environments does not affect system performance. However the menu in Gnome and XFCE unlike in KDE does not have scroll bars so thge list of apps tends to be huge.

Comment

On the up side, you get access to some apps that would not be available if you only had one desktop installed.

Comment

Thanks alot for the info.

All the desktop environments mentioned earlier all seem to be running fine on my system, with one installation of Kubuntu 9.04. I have had Kubuntu 9.04 installed for a while now, but just recently decided to put the different desktop environments in.

***I will keep it this way. Rather than putting the other flavors of buntu on their own partition. Its really nice because I can run any environment I like. I use Compiz And Emerald when in Gnome, & KDE plasma desktop when I'm in KDE. This seems to workout well for me so far.
          System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

Comment

Working...
          X