Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[solved] Copying Application Launcher items to different system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Copying Application Launcher items to different system?

I am running two systems - kubuntu 9.04 and 9.10. Since I set up the 9.10 system, I have done a lot of software installing with wine. The .wine directories are in a volume accessible by both systems, but the home directory itself is not, and that's a good thing, because parts of kde4.2 and kde4.3 don't like each others configuration files at all. So, what I want to do is copy the menu entries for the wine items I have set up from the 9.04 to the 9.10. I did some poking around, and it doesn't look like it will be simple. Would be nice if I could also copy the entries for gnome (as I have both desktops installed). Any pointers on how the menu system is set up?
    I did find a posting on the ubuntu site that says to copy the contents of /usr/share/menu, but that's not it -- there's nothing related to wine or the programs installed with it there.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Copying Application Launcher items to different system?

SHORT

Maybe:

.desktop files from the ~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/ and .menu files from the ~/.config/menus/applications-merged/

LONG

The Menu system

Many KDE actions are "guided" by the .desktop files > Topic: GtoK: .desktop files. The K-menu is reading information from the .desktop files (kbuildsycoca / kbuildsycoca4).

Systemwide (for all users)
    (where the .desktop files are)

Qt and GTK applications:
    /usr/share/applications/

and the KDE is using:
    /usr/share/applications/kde/ (KDE 3.5 apps)
    /usr/share/applications/kde4/ (KDE 4 apps)

KDE Menu editor

The Menu Editor is a gui to make and edit the .desktop files.

It saves the information to the ~/.local/share/applications/ (.desktop files) and to the ~/.config/menus/ (menu structure - what to exclude and include).

For a user
    (where the .desktop files are)

~/.local/share/applications/

and the Wine is using:
    ~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/
    and the .menu files are
    ~/.config/menus/applications-merged/

/usr/share/menu/

Information:
    /usr/share/menu/README
    and
    /usr/share/doc/menu/html/index.html
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Copying Application Launcher items to different system?

Thanks. That's the information I need to experiment.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
      X