X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Application Launcher Icon Gone!

Hi all-

Man, I have no idea how to fix this one.

I was customizing my menu using the menu editor, and then my machine locked up and needed a hard reboot. After the next bootup, the K icon was gone. Its actually transparent, and shows random crap in the box.

If I add this same widget to the desktop, then the icon is there.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Attached Files
    eMachines E520 notebook, 2ghz celeron, 3gb RAM, 160gb HDD, etc... woot.com special with no Microsoft tax running Kubuntu 9.04 beautifully

Re: KDE Application Launcher Icon Gone!

Bummer.

Too late to save your day, but I think

Originally posted by AboveTheLogic

my machine locked up and needed a hard reboot.
    is probably not true -- it wasn't really locked. Well, the X server probably was hung, and maybe it would have ended up the same, but you should always

Alt-SysRq R S E I U B
    rather than use the power button. :P

I would try "unlock widgets" then on the panel try adding the "K" widget -- I forget the formal name of it -- I dunno if you can do this or not, but I think you can.

Comment

Yes, I did try that...

I can remove and replace the widget in the task bar and on the desktop. On the desktop, the icon shows just fine, but on the task bar, its not there.

Also, if I go to application launcher menu settings, I can change the view from standard to some of the other options, and the icons show up fine for those other options, but when reverting back to standard, K is still gone.

I'm pretty sure it locked up. I tried ctrl + alt + f2 and it did not respond. Unfortunately, this lockup isn't an uncommon occurrence for me these days, I think my laptop was overheating a lot so I just went out and blew out dust from the heatsink with compressed air... that seemed to have helped.
      eMachines E520 notebook, 2ghz celeron, 3gb RAM, 160gb HDD, etc... woot.com special with no Microsoft tax running Kubuntu 9.04 beautifully

Comment

Yah, if it's an overheating situation then it might really be locking -- more often they just shut down.

Two more ideas, regarding the panel and the launcher:

1. Are you really seeing the entire length of it? Make sure the "K" isn't showing up an inch to the left of your actual screen.

2. You might consider deleting and replacing the panel widget. If a taskbar or something is laying on top of the "K", maybe starting with a clean panel will let you configure it back to the way you want it.

That's it -- no more ideas here ... :P

Comment

yeah I even tried in a new panel to no avail

I think I remember seeing somewhere that some actually changed that K icon to look more like the kubuntu icon, maybe if I can find that I will get a new clue on how to fix it

thanks for the suggestions

Comment

changing the size of my panel to make it smaller (not taking up the whole width of the screen) brings the icon back

making it take up the width of the screen again makes the icon transparent again... even if I don't have the icon on the edge

weird huh

Comment

Try removing (depending on kubuntu version):
              plasmarc, plasma-apptetsrc, and plasma-desktop-appletsrc (if present).

They are found in /home/username/.kde/share/config whereby .kde is a hidden file.

You can do this either from the command line, recovery mode or the live cd.

At reboot kubuntu will rebuild the default desktop.

Hope this helps
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

tried it!

unfortunately, that didn't do it

thanks for tryin' though

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention: you have to it without plasma running.

If that doesn't work? Hmmm....
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

yeah, I logged out, went into tty2, killed kdm, then did it, then rebooted

I probably won't bother with it, making the bar a bit smaller brings the icon back and I can live with it

Comment

Okay, my bars are all small

http://www.fintan-gastro-consulting....ktopJaunty.png
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I like your layout, I might try something like that.

Don't forget to call Jenifer

Comment

Thankx it is easy on kde2.x or kde3.

Don't forget to call Jenifer

Righto
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                          X