This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.3 Beta 2 (4.2.90) -- Mostly Works Here

I saw enough bad news concerning the first 4.3 Beta that I didn't try it. Last night I enabled the repo as instructed here and proceeded with the upgrade.

I can't say that I have torture-tested it, but I've been running it most of today, and only found the following issues:

-- can't change the "air" desktop wallpaper to anything else
    -- the "Restart" icon has apparently been lost

Fair warning -- this upgrade provides you a clean default panel and plasma interface (aka "desktop"), whether you want one or not, so you need to be prepared to restore things, visually.

On the positive side, Dolphin is looking marvelous -- very nice graphics in the new view of your files.

Re: KDE 4.3 Beta 2 (4.2.90) -- Mostly Works Here

Try this....

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3103740.15

Post #23:

Code:
    rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*
    Worked for me.

Comment

Great suggestion -- thanks!

and ....

no change.

But I got to put my icons back on the new panel again!

Comment

Thanks for the post dibl. This needed a thread after the bad experience people had with beta 1 packages.

Comment

-- can't change the "air" desktop wallpaper to anything else
          I decided to try upgrading my jaunty installation (actually, a backup of it) to karmic today. After the usual bumps of install -f, configure -a, and force-overwrites, it ultimately went through. I had no trouble changing the wallpaper -- maybe it changed the permissions somehow in ~/.kde?

Oh, and we are back to "kdesudo systemsettings" to change anything in login manager.

Otherwise, all OK so far.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I've just tried the beta, and now I am missing the printer setup in the system settings, and I don't have any printer configured anymore, even though I have cups working and all other pcs in my network (running kubuntu with kde 4.2.4) can see the printer without any problems.
            Ah, and the restart icon is missing too...

Comment

Originally posted by jbernardo
              I've just tried the beta, and now I am missing the printer setup in the system settings
              Huh -- you are right, I missed that one. I actually recommend (strongly) using the CUPS utility at http://localhost:631/ , rather than the KDE utility.

Comment

I' ve found that the system-config-printer-kde package is empty (almost, only the /usr/share/doc files are there) in the backports ppa.
                I'll try with cups even if it a very cumbersome way to add a network printer.

Comment

I have just done a reinstall and, without intending it (I wanted 4.2.4) I have wound up with 4.3 beta as my desktop.

I'm not sure whether this is happening to everyone but is the panel in kde 4.3 dynamic, in that it expands and contracts depending on how many applications there are running at the time? Is there a way to turn it off if I want to do so?

Thanks

Comment

Except for the aforementioned need to use "kdesudo systemsettings", I'm finding it quite marvelous! Actually, I had taken apart my 13" laptop to back up my default factory Linpus install on my Acer Aspire One netbook (long story, SDHC usb reader wouldn't work and I needed a big USB drive so SATA laptop drive + USB SATA dock was my only viable option); before I took it apart things were a bit wonky with my 4.3beta2 install on the 13" (running the same graphics card as my Acer). I installed *buntu from the expert commandline install over PXE after trying and discarding Moblin, then I added the backports PPA and installed kubuntu-desktop. So, basically I made a fresh KDE4.3beta2 install.

...and it's marvelous! I had expected, considering previous KDE4 performance on other computers of mine and especially the 13", that I'd be switching back to Openbox or Fluxbox on this thing. So far, though, this has been the most trouble-free install of KDE4 that I have ever had. Makes me almost tempted to upgrade my 8.04LTS install (...almost ). Obviously to get it set up right for a netbook I had to do a bit of fiddling with font sizes, but 4.3 is getting modular and fiddling-friendly enough that it's nipping at the heels of 3.5.10 in terms of "which KDE to put on a netbook".

Comment

Air with changed desktop on neon - nightly on Jaunty:
                      a few widgets missing.
                      version:

fintan2@fintanws2:~$ kde4-config --version
                      Qt: 4.5.1
                      KDE: 4.2.91 (KDE 4.2.91 (KDE 4.3 >= 20090609))
                      kde4-config: 1.0
                      fintan2@fintanws2:~$

http://www.fintan-gastro-consulting.ch/Nightly.png

Edit:
                      I haven't put the beta on juanty, and won't but this is what karmic looks like without air (can't install ) :

http://www.fintan-gastro-consulting.ch/DesktopJaunty.png

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                      X