This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound on HP DV6z

I've been using Kubuntu for a few years now, and this is the first time I can recall being unable to find a solution online for my problem. I'm wondering if anyone here might have some ideas.

I've got a new HP DV6z laptop, running 9.04 Jaunty, which will not put any sound out through the speakers or headphone jacks. The only time I've gotten a peep out of it is by hooking up the HDMI cable to my monitor, and using the Test button in the Multimedia panel in System Settings (nothing out of Amarok, though.)

I've been working through various guides and suggestion, but without luck so far.

Below is the output from aplay, lspci, and cat /proc/asound/cards.

~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (int gfx)
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
    00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
    00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
    00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
    00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:12.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
    00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3a)
    00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 IDE Controller
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h HyperTransport Configuration (rev 40)
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h Miscellaneous Control
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h Link Control
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
    01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller
    08:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)

~$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
    Subdevices: 0/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
    Subdevices: 1/1

~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
    0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
    HDA ATI SB at 0xd2400000 irq 16
    1 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI at 0xd2310000 irq 2298

Re: No sound on HP DV6z

Did you try to configure this from system settings -> Multimedia ? Also:" you may want to use KMix if it's not running. Try the different channels, etc, maybe some of your output channels are muted.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
      Did you try to configure this from system settings -> Multimedia ? Also:" you may want to use KMix if it's not running. Try the different channels, etc, maybe some of your output channels are muted.
      Yes. No luck. The test sound out on the HDMI connection is the only time I've gotten anything to make a sound.

Comment

Maybe you can try uninstalling Pulse Audio? (if it is installed). See:
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4837#msg184837

Comment

No change after uninstalling pulseaudio, although it does seem to have helped with a problem with the system tending to hang on shutdown. I think I'm going to retry upgrading ALSA to the latest version, and retest some changes to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf that didn't work before.

Comment

Hope so! Alsa should work automatically really ! (i've been trouble free in all my last build, both on board sound and dedicated cards). Can you disable the hdmi sound in the bios? That could help ...

Comment

That's a thought. I'll take a look at the BIOS settings and check back in. I don't really consider ALSA to be the problem, as it appears people with DV5, DV6, and DV7 series laptops have been having similar problems. I've been using Ubuntu and Kubuntu for years, and this is the first time sound has been a major issue. Something in the ATI chipset was designed strangely, from what I can tell.

Comment

Arrg. The odd hardware bug. I feel the pain. Maybe something to consider is to burn a couple live distros (dunno, knoppix, mandriva, suse, fedora) and if they do get sound working, see how it's configured and see if you can repeat it with kubuntu. And perhaps report the fix in launchpad and help make the world a better place ;-)

Comment

Tried OpenSuse already, with the same problem. I have a couple of Knoppix disks I haven't tried, so I'll give those a shot, too.

Comment

Good news. Upgrading ALSA did produce some results. It's not functioning perfectly yet, as I wasn't able to get anything from the headphone jack, but the speakers work.

Here's what I did:

First, I added the following line to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=hp-m4 enable_msi=1
                    I then manually upgraded ALSA to the newest version, 1.0.20. There is a script to automate this at

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810

After a restart, I checked my mixer panel, and there was a new slider labelled "Speaker." It seems to have replaced my headphones slider (which did not work before). It started out all the way down, but sliding it up got sound out of my speakers.

Comment

Great! Along these lines, see this post, too (hope it helps you get the headphones, too!)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043568

Too bad it needs to be so difficult, but we'll get there :-)

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                        Great! Along these lines, see this post, too (hope it helps you get the headphones, too!)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043568

Too bad it needs to be so difficult, but we'll get there :-)
                        I tried the suggested change on that page for DV6 laptops, and it broke what sound I had, so no luck there. There was also a suggestion from a guy with a similar chipset/codec, but I didn't get any improvement beyond the speaker enablement from that one.

Comment

Working...
                        X