This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin doesn't remember the app association for a file type

Well, I'm having some troubles with Dolphin file type association option for a couple of months. Whenever I choose to let it remember a file type association, the progress bar starts "updating" the data but just after it reaches 10% it suddenly stops updating the file associations list and goes on opening the file on the program / application I selected... Later I check if it ever did what it was expected to do from the very beginning and voila, nothing has changed at all...

Could anyone please tell me how could I fix this?
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: It doesn't remember the app association for a file type

What version of Kubuntu, as well as KDE, are you running?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Dolphin doesn't remember the app association for a file type

Ouch, I knew I forgot to mention something like that...

It's Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10 and KDE 4.1.3, but all this started since I had KDE 4.1.2. At first I thought the upgrade would fix it, but it didn't... So I guess I need some help in order to find the cause and solve this problem once and for all...

Well, I also tried to change a file properties by right-clicking on the file. Once the file is open I click on Edit file type and on the first tab of the new window I click on Add. Then it shows me the Choose Application for application/some extension window, I pick the application I want to and later click on the OK button, but suddenly this error message pops up.

Configuration file
      "/home/username/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list" not writeable.
      Please contact your system administrator.

Thanks in advance, people.
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

This isn't directly related to the previous problem, but it clearly shows the importance of this issue: I mean, there's a problem with any default application trying to modify a system file. Take a look.

Konqueror - KDialog

Configuration file "/root/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc" not writable.

Later on this shows up...

Configuration file "/root/.kde/share/config/kbuildsycoca4rc" not writable.

EDIT

Well, the first error is already fixed, I just changed the file ownership and now I can modify the file type associations, but the other 2 errors couldn't be fixed the same way... Both Errors show up whenever I choose Help > Get online help on Adept Installer / Manager / whatever.
        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
          Well, the first error is already fixed, I just changed the file ownership and now I can modify the file type associations, ...
          WHOA! Changing file ownership on a root owned file in order to edit it isn't what you want to do. The file you did this to is owned by root. To edit a file not owned by root, you have to start an editor "as root" which gives you, the user, root powers to do the editing.

Comment

Well, it's true and I did that on my first attempt to solve it... but I didn't know how to make it work... It just ignored what I modified... Only after I changed its ownership it started working properly... weird... but it works...

Anyway, it'd be able to modify the file without wanting me to change the file ownership but root refused to do so and kept showing me the same error message. That's why I left it the way it is now, with me as the owner...
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

It's easy to start Kate "as root" so you can open/edit/save a text file that is owned by root. Press Alt+F2 and type:
              Code:
              kdesudo /usr/bin/kate
              After you provide your password, Kate will open with root privileges allowing you to open a root owned file for editing.

Comment

I got the idea, but the point is that Dolphin should have updated the file type associations automatically just after I've picked some specific association but it didn't... Only after I changed the file ownership it started working normally again... The question should be what do I need to do in order to make Dolphin save my file type associations settings automatically instead of forcing me to edit the file ("sudo kate" at the current location of the file) or change the file ownership to me as its owner?
                Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Configuration file "/root/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc" not writable.

First, the file you were trying to edit is owned by the root user. There is an identical file in your users home directory:
                  ~/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc
                  and this is the file you should have been editing, which is owned by you, and doesn't require any special privileges in order to do so.

Comment

Eh, well, Konqueror didn't open whenever I clicked on that option in Adept... It's not me the one who needs to open it anyway, it's root... but for some weird reason it, root, fails to open it and modify it as needed... How do I fix that?
                    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Working...
                    X