X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio device

Good day to all!
    I would like to know why my computer lost sound driver?
    1st, I install Kubuntu 8.04 alternate CD to a clone computer using ASUS board model # P5SD2-VM. After installation, it restart and run a newly installed kubuntu 8.04. The sound works well.
    2nd, I downloaded an updates using apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade to install newly downloaded updates. I just wonder why the speaker icon got a red X? So, it mean there is something wrong with my audio device? When I run amarok, it show xine error or no audio device found? Is there something wrong with a driver updates?

Thanks a lot guys.
    thetigergo (Felix)

Re: Audio device

try this
    Code:
    Hold ALT and press F2 or click run from the kmenu 
    type in kmix 
    check to see if your sound is muted no muted it the "light" above the slide is "on"
    on my 8.04 system mute shows a "/" over my speaker when muted but this could only be cause i changed my icons and skin from default

as for amarok that could just be an error. check in system settings for sound info i use "arts" for my backend. you may have another selected remember what one and try another.
    OR, you might not have xine installed check adept_manager for xine (i belive libxine is what you would want but it should have installed w/ amarok)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thank you so much for the reply.

It is not muted because there is no control slider in a kmix. Even a "light" green or red nothing appeared. A combo box is empty. That is what I wonder why it works on CD installation but when I update it using apt-get, when it restart since there is a new kernel update besides it required to restart my computer. And after restarted, kmix is empty. Just an ordinary window with a combo box. And that combo box is empty. Is there something missing on a linux kernel? May forgotten to include in new update?

Thank you so much in advance.

Comment

If it's a kernel module, you can confirm that by booting into the earlier kernel. If your sound works there, but not in the latest kernel, that will confirm it.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If I confirm it will work again in old kernel sir, what can I do next? Or should I stake to old kernel originally from CD installer?

Comment

If the previous kernel gives you working sound, then it becomes a process of identifying your sound card/chip controller, and going from there.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So it mean I don't update my kubuntu sir?

Comment

Working...
              X