This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdm-kde4 -- Gulp!

This morning's click on the "Adept Notifier" brought up an interesting list. kdm-kde4 is "not installed" and now it's going to be. Lots of "kdebase-xxx" packages. Hmmmmmm. I wonder which desktop environment I'll be using 20 minutes from now .....

Re: kdm-kde4 -- Gulp!

Let us know. I'm checking mine now.

Comment

During the installation, it politely notifies you about the display manager, and offers you to keep KDM, or change it to KDM-4. Of course I changed mine -- we'll see how it plays after the update is finished and I restart the system.

EDIT:

OK, did 2 reboots to get the hang of it. It works just fine. There's a nifty new login window, with a drop-down menu instead of that goofy piece of miniature paper, so that's an improvement. Too bad the background splash is that sorry blue "folded corduroy" -- I liked the pale blue splash that I saw the other day better. Oh well, it's not seen for long ....

The Nvidia driver is fine with the new KDM-4, no issues with the video. My Emerald window decorations still don't survive a restart -- but Compiz does autostart as before. So I have to manually run
      Code:
      emerald --replace
      to get my window borders.

I think I'll see whether we're able to assign a photo to the user login, and also figure out a screen saver.

EDIT #2:

Session Manager is soooooooo close! It looks like you can assign a photo to the user -- you can select the user, and the photo button is lit up and everything. But, it's not yet hooked up to the filesystem -- nothing happens when you click it.

KDE Screen Saver -- heh heh heh -- the Open GL screen savers are still just as semi-functional as the first time I logged into Dapper Drake. LOL. So, the one that was previously selected doesn't work any more. But, if you select a different one, that one works just fine. So then you go back and select the one you had before, and lo-and-behold it will now work! LOL Great to see some things don't change ......

Comment

Have you seen any difference using kdm-kde4? I haven't. No noticeable improvements at all. At least nothing appears broken because of it.

Comment

Nope. I keep doing the daily updates, and everything that was ever working is still working, including video and all the important things like Open Office and the KDE4 apps that I normally use (Konsole, Kopete, Kate, Dolphin). But the System Settings is still pretty rough -- happily it is non-essential for anything.

Comment

Which kde4 are you guys using?

I am asking because on kde4 alpha I just get an ugly grey login screen with that wavy Background.

Haven't tried it on HH or GG yet. will do later.

Edit: Yep, same on HH and GG.
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

System Settings for kdm-kde4 are still missing the Administrator mode button, and if you run them via sudo they lock down. That means you can't enable autologin, password-less logins or other convenience things.
              The Nomad's Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                Which kde4 are you guys using?

I am asking because on kde4 alpha I just get an ugly grey login screen with that wavy Background.

Haven't tried it on HH or GG yet. will do later.

Edit: Yep, same on HH and GG.
                @Fintan, it must be not installed completely, or there's some configuration problem. The KDE4 login splash is very nice and attractive on my system. Did you install kdm-kde4?

Comment

Yes, on all three. anything missing?
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Same here Fintan. But not on all of the ones I've tested this on. I also do not get my modified log-on screen anymore. So that must be a KDM-KDE4 thing then. Hmmmm. I'll have to look into that!

As for System Settings, I really think that it is sorely lacking, @ least 50%. Most mods I did was because I know where some of the config files are. Under the old KDM it uses a file in your home folder called .face.icon. It is used on the Log-in screen. Since KDM-KDE4, not only do I not get my personal login screen with that, what is presented has a place to use .face.icon, but doesn't, so I'm lead to believe they changed the engine for that as they did for the Splash. I haven't found any documentation at KDE either on these.

Comment

Do any of you have this problem?

Open a file with Kate. Close kate, get an error message the KDEInit couldn't open kate. Click OK on that error message and kate opens that file again. Close it out get the same error, but finally closes without reopening.

Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Sorry for my long line of posts here, but...

Yep, KDM-KDE4 changes a few things. First and most important, /etc now has a KDE4 folder. Similar to the KDE3 one but lacks some of the config files you'd find in the KDE3 one. Don't know if it can use the same config files. I'm getting ready to test that out.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                          Yep, KDM-KDE4 changes a few things. First and most important, /etc now has a KDE4 folder. Similar to the KDE3 one but lacks some of the config files you'd find in the KDE3 one. Don't know if it can use the same config files. I'm getting ready to test that out.
                          I browsed through kdm's startup files and found out that they have changed the location of the configuration files. In my system they reside in /usr/lib/kde4/etc/kde4/kdm. So try to edit /usr/lib/kde4/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc to change some settings. For example the face-icons; look for the keyword "FaceSource" and remove the '#'-sign in front of that line so it looks like:
                          Code:
                          FaceSource=PreferUser
                          Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) user

Comment

I would if that file existed. That is one of the problems. In the install it did put a file there that I edited, but still no go and the other config files that should be there, aren't. Hmmmm. I'll wait and see what happens by release date.

Comment

Working...
                            X