X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma is crashing, post HH updates -- Hello from KDE 3

>

I hope I'm not the only one ... I attempted to file a bug report but the Kbugconfuser got the better of me, and I gave up after apparently giving Kwallet one password and the bug site another (what an idiot!). I assume someone smarter will get one filed properly.

Upon attempting to log in to KDE 4, the little graphic runs and the music plays, but plasma crashes with a nice long backtrace that I was going to post for the devs. In KDE3, I used Adept to reinstall KDE4, but it didn't help -- plasma still crashes immediately after login, and before presenting the desktop.

Soooo -- I'll have to remember how to use this KDE3 stuff .... it's been 4 or 5 weeks since I last saw it, and I never even set up a desktop for Hardy Heron. :P

EDIT: I filed it on KDE org's site: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=159662

Re: Plasma is crashing, post HH updates -- Hello from KDE 3

Welllllllllllllllll, more updates (via KDE3). So I again nuked the hidden .kde4 folder, rebooted the system and attempted to log into KDE4, and VOILA! I can feel the love! Color me happily re-arranging my KDE4 desktop back to the way I want it. 8)

Comment

Did you have Desktop Effects on? I had that happen several times before when I enabled Desktop Effects. I haven't had that issue lately and it is on.

Edit: Stupid me! I'm running virtually now and that is why it probably hasn't happened. Since you have an nVidia card, I bet it has something to do with that plus having Desktop Effects on. I have an nVidia, but the virtual environment doesn't see it as such.

Comment

Yep -- I'm so addicted to spinning the cube around to work on the "sides" that I'm about useless on the Win XP machine I have to use at the office .

So the effects are always on here. That may have something to do with the problem -- I hadn't considered that. I captured the backtrace from the crash, and it didn't really appear to be compiz or xorg related -- more like lib6 issues. But I'm no programmer, either.

Running marvelously, ATM.

EDIT: Just received an e-mail from another user who also had the same crash, and the same fix works on his. Something about today's updates.

Comment

Well, I just caused Plasma to crash. I hate how the Desktop won't let you launch programs from .desktop files. I was doing a test between double click and single click and neither would launch the program. I did crash Plasma though. Unlike your situation, Plasma actual seemed to have a recovery mechanism and restarted.

Comment

Working...
          X