This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu tutorial

I just downloaded the 70+MB Ubuntu tutorial in the hope that it would include Kubuntu information.
    It doesn't.
    Given that KDE is focussing on KDE 4.0 I don't suppose anything like the Ubuntu tutorial can be expected in the near future.
    A few comments on various forums express the opinion the Kubunu is a "poor cousin" in the Ubuntu family. In which case it may be a very long time before we get a similar tutorial.
    Depressing.(perhaps because I have just attempted to get help from the existing Kmail help section!)

Re: kubuntu tutorial

You might check out linux mint. They are just getting started with KDE, but seem to have a lot of documentation. There is very little that is KDE specific information. I generally use the ubuntu documentation for, as you say, the kubuntu specific document is nearly non-existant. One you have a look through the menus to locate equivalent applications and learn that gksudo = kdesu and gedit = nano or kate, the rest is pretty simple. Maybe you can be the one to start the community documentation. I haven't done much wiking, but would be glad to contribute with my limited knowledge.

Comment

thanks lingenfr for the Mint suggestion
      My knowledge is so limited that anyone could write it on the back of a postage stamp!

Comment

You may want to check out The Official Ubuntu Book

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubunt.../dp/0132354136.

I have the 1st edition and there is a sizable chapter on Kubuntu mainly addressing the differences between KDE and Gnome. I found this chapter very helpful while I was trying to add repositories and upgrades to the system.True,a whole book on Kubuntu would be nice but this is better than nothing!

Comment

Thanks meshica7
          I have a number of books on various flavours of Linux and have not found them particularily helpful.
          One book that I would like to see would be a kind of "Rosetta Stone"
          Take each window and then select each of the icons and explain each of it's functions (and, equally important, how to redo any action!).
          For example. The "file" icon at the top left, if clicked, gives a drop down menu. Take each item , click on it, and then give an explanation of what follows.
          The most helpful book that I have is the most elementary;
          Teach Yourself Red Hat Linux VISUALLY
          Published BY IDG Books.1999
          It is out of print now.

Comment

Probably you really have two different subjects of study here:

1. Linux (*buntu distro)

2. KDE

For Linux, I like Beginning Ubuntu Linux, by Keir Thomas.

For KDE, I haven't searched for a book, but I'll bet there is one, or else online resources.

I think Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Edubuntu are indeed somewhat the "poor relatives" of Ubuntu -- I wouldn't hold my breath for a ton of supporting tutorials for them.

Comment

Working...
            X