X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

commandline to get a default KDE4 desktop again

Hello,

I did a kde4-core install ( after moving from ubuntu to kubuntu ) and the graphic windows where really ugly. Then i choose the quartz window to see if that would improve. Now everything is black beyond obvious options. Nothing was visable. So the end for KDE4.
    As i think of it now, a stopX, startX would probably not help since the changes are remembered. Is there a commandline -way to change to default settings?

Regards,
    AprilMe

Re: commandline to get a default KDE4 desktop again

I'm not sure what you are asking -- you should be able to boot into KDE 3.5 by clicking the little "list" icon on the login GUI, and choosing it.

If you are saying you are stuck in a non-functioning KDE 4 session, then if you can get to the CLI (via Ctrl-Alt-F1), then enter
    Code:
    sudo shutdown now -r
    to reboot the system, and choose KDE 3.5 on your login splash GUI.

If you are all locked up in KDE 4 and can't get to the CLI, then hold down the Alt-SysRq keys with one hand and type R S E I U B with the other to shut it down and restart.

Comment

you can delete your /home/<usrname>/.kde4 folder, which is where all your kde4 specific settings are, more specifically various config files inside /home/<username>/.kde4/share/config/

so
      Code:
      rm -rf ~/.kde4
      should do it. You can also do it from kde3 visually as well.

Comment

@Claydoh,
        Thanks for your suggestion. I replaced my ./kde4 with a new empty one and used the ' kde4 settings' option in Ubuntu, but still no default new clean kde4 desktop.
        In fact i am not allowed to login in KDE4 at this time. Maybe i should try to uninstall kde4-core and reinstall it?

Regards,
        Peter

Comment

Working...
        X