This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please someone help me...

Well it wou;d be nice if someone could help me. I am new with Kubuntu (Linux at all) After some begining problems isnatlatio was OK. Then wanted to installl aditional packages and then the problems started. I will atach pictures because pictures shows all. Now I can not install anything anymore. Several aplications are lost etc... How can I repair that so that I can install packages again. Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Re: Please someone help me...

Close all open programs, open the Konsole, and enter this:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    then this

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    then

Code:
    sudo apt-get install
    then

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    and you should be back in business.

Comment

Thanks very much. But for expmple now is the list of available packages much less. For example now I can not start or install VLC player. It shows that it is installing but it does not work at all. Do you have some ideas. And Do you have any idea for my web camera Genius VideoCAM Eye. It does not work. Thanks again.

Comment

When posting in a sub-section of the Forum that doesn't identify your version of *ubuntu you are using, it is helpful for you to identify that for us. So, did you install Gutsy?? Assuming that you did, and assuming that you now have access to Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manager), then after opening the program, click on Adept | Manage Repositories and on the first tab, click all the items (you don't need to click the last item unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository. Close the window. If Adept Manager doesn't automatically fetch updates, then click on Fetch Updates. You will now see that you have access to the thousands of available packages.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by nole1

now is the list of available packages much less.
          This sounds like a problem with repositories, just as Snowhog suggests.

Sometimes a repository server can have a problem, and people in that part of the world need to change to the "next closest" server. I think in the Kubuntu or Ubuntu web site are lists with server choices -- you might want to look at that and then open your /etc/apt/sources.list file and change your sources to the next closest server.

Comment

Sorry for being undefined enough. I am using Kubuntu 7.10 with KDE 3.5.8 as far as I can see. And Yes I am new in Linux. But have a lot experience in old versions of Unix for example SCO UNIX V. Those were the days. Blue screen and no graphics... Well yes but we were not using it at that time. So everything about the respositories and so is new for me. Need some time to understand how it works. Guys thank you very much for you help. Now I can install what is sugested and made VLC player to work. Still have that problem with web camera mentioned above.

Comment

You'll find a lot of help in this Forum. And so as not to forget, Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums! 8)

SCO Unix V. Ah for the days of vacuum tubes, punch cards, and noise. :P
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes those were the days. You can say whatever you want but it was a major success when I made Unix to work under the TCP IP. Also to make a local printer it was a big succes and also to make local working unit s to have our own langauge (Serbian Latin)... So it is funny now but back then it was not at all beleive me. Xenix was the the most used OS at that time at us. Windows just started. I mean he wa just at the beggining of tha abd creature we are calling today windows. But to back to the issue, does anybody know how to make my camera work and to use local printer in my own network wt home . My Kubuntu is connected to a Windows machine which has netwok printer wich I can not print via. ANd thanks for welcoming to the forum....

Comment

But to back to the issue, does anybody know how to make my camera work and to use local printer in my own network wt home . My Kubuntu is connected to a Windows machine which has netwok printer wich I can not print via. ANd thanks for welcoming to the forum....
                  I don't know about your camera but installing and configuring samba should solve your networking issues.
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Yes by instaling samba i can see windows machine but from windows machine I can not see Kubuntu machine. Also from kubuntu machine i can not send files to be printed to windows machine. Never mind the camera it is a big problem. Anyway thanks. Can someone tell me those crashes that sometimes happens when trying to install or unistall something and logs that are creted, what are they for an how can this be changed or avoid. Noticed that sometimes KDE and Gnome programs are not comaptible at alll...

Comment

Working...
                    X