X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is my taskbar ?

Hi,
    I fully installed KDE4 on kubuntu 7.10 and everything seemed to work as it should, but after restarting, my taskbar desappeared. How can I have it again ?

My desktop is a dell with a radeon x1300, and I cannot get window effects. A message says that it's because XDamage and XComposite are not instaled, but they are. Any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance
    Bernat

P.S. KDE4 is nice but very... different. It's going to be a bit difficult to get used to it.

Re: Where is my taskbar ?

At this point (currently), you cannot add any taskbars other than the default, which cannot be resized or moved. I'm not at my home computer, and can't remember the name of KDE 4's taskbar, so the only thing I can suggest at the moment is to log off, press Alt+E to restart X.org, and log back in; that usually does the trick, but let me know if it doesn't.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Did you lose your taskbar or panel??

if it is the taskbar, then open up the widgets window (right hand top of desktop or right click on desktop) and choose taskbar, drag/drop it to the panel, easy peesy
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sorry about that, I got my terminology confused (it's the panel that cannot be modified)
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thank you to you both. Actually, it's me who got confused with the new names. It's the panel that I lost. I will check it tomorrow morning and tell you about the results.
          Thanks again
          bernat

Comment

It's the panel that I lost.
            Well in that case and assuming you haven't done too much configuring. Go to /home/username/./kde4 (hiddenfile) rename it to something like ./kde4_old. A new one will be generated. Log out / -in and you will be okay.

Could you by chance tell us how you got "rid" of the panel? maybe someone here coould learn how not to do it

enjoy
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Or maybe somebody could learn how to do it.
              The answers are out there...

Comment

Hi,
                actually, I do not have a clear idea on how it exactly happened. I was playing with desktop configuration (themes, colours,...), and the desktop freezed. I tried everything to kill whichever process, but I couldn't. So, I turned the computer off and restarted again, with that result.

When I was starting to work today, I saw that I couldn't send emails (and the configuration was ok), so I re-installed the whole Kubuntu again, and had no time to install kde4, but I will next week because I have it in my laptop and, despite some details that I dislike like the impossibiliy to hide the panel, I like it quite a lot.

Bernat

Comment

The next time you think your desktop has "frozen", do this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088251.0

it will reboot in better condition.

Comment

Fintan:
                    Could you by chance tell us how you got "rid" of the panel? maybe someone here coould learn how not to do it
                    Panel settings (among other things) are in the ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc. Here is an example how to add more panels:

Ktip message regarding panels
                    http://dot.kde.org/1199623673/1199783423/

Do the opposite .

Link:
                    GUTSY KDE4 Tips and tricks
                    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                    X