This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certainly not for the noob

Switching from Windows to Kubuntu was very easy for me. One thing that made the trasition simple, was the usability of KDE 3.5.
    Yesterday I installed KDE4. I have to say, If I was a windows user, and switched over to this, it would certainly turn me away. It operates totally different. For one thing, the taskbar.

1. Somehow my clock and desktop selections got moved over to the left and I can't move them back. No setting I can find ANYWHERE!
    2. The application launcher somehow disappeared and made it impossible to run my apps, except from command line.
    3. Right click on the taskbar does absolutely nothing. Why? Why is this disabled. Am I missing something?
    I had to do a ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot the computer.
    The launcher came back, but the stupid clock is still on the left side.
    BTW, Right click still does nothing. Why? Why? Why?
    4. I don't like the sliding apps menu from the launcher. I can't find a way to change this either so it expands automatically.
    I may have to uninstall KDE4 and go back to 3.5.
    I did a google, but seems like I'm the only one with taskbar issues!
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Wally

Re: Certainly not for the noob

Surprise, KDE4 is "Beta" software. It is still being developed.

Your not the only one with those "issues", its just that most KDE4 users have already figured out what is going on. That said, there will be more users trying it out soon.

1. Delete them, and then re-add them to the right side.

2. Right-click the Desktop, and select "Add Widgets". Then drag the Widget to the taskbar, and NOT the desktop. Because once it pops on the desktop, you can't drag it to the taskbar (yet).

3. The Taskbar is still in "Beta". it is not complete yet. They had to rewrite KDE for Qt4. It has been completely rewritten from the ground up, and is not complete yet.

Right-click the desktop, and select "Add Widgets" for the taskbar features.

4. You can select a Classic Menu Widget, instead of "Kickoff".
    The answers are out there...

Comment

Working...
    X