This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now you can disable your touchpad when your mouse is plugged in

As you can see in my signature, I run both Kubuntu and Ubuntu on my laptops. In Kubuntu, the kde-config-touchpad package provides me with the ability to have the touchpad disabled when the mouse is plugged in - very handy. However, in Ubuntu, no dice. There isn't a package in the repo's that provides this same function for Ubuntu.

ppa:atareao/atareao to the rescue! This package provides me with this ability, and doesn't pull in a lot of dependencies with it.

touchpad-indicator allows you to configure the touchpad to be disabled when a mouse is plugged in, and enable it when the mouse is unplugged.

Sweet. 8)
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Now you can disable your touchpad when your mouse is plugged in

Installed the Lucid version. Wouldn't run from the menu, so I ran it in a Konsole to catch any error messages:
    jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$ /usr/share/touchpad-indicator/touchpad-indicator.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/share/touchpad-indicator/touchpad-indicator.py", line 33, in <module>
    import appindicator
    ImportError: No module named appindicator
    jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$
    Even though I could log into my launchpad account, I could not post a bug on the author's launchpad bug page.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

His email address is in the /usr/share/touchpad-indicator/touchpad-indicator.py file on line 13.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        Installed the Lucid version. Wouldn't run from the menu, so I ran it in a Konsole to catch any error messages:
        jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$ /usr/share/touchpad-indicator/touchpad-indicator.py
        Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/usr/share/touchpad-indicator/touchpad-indicator.py", line 33, in <module>
        import appindicator
        ImportError: No module named appindicator
        jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$
        Even though I could log into my launchpad account, I could not post a bug on the author's launchpad bug page.
        Looks like the applet can't find the appindicator python module, have you tried installing 'python-appindicator' (if it's not installed)?

Comment

Couple thoughts here -

kde-config-touchpad even disables my touchpad if I'm using a bluetooth mouse - which I think is pretty cool.

That said, syndaemon is also pretty effective at touchpad control and has a smaller memory footprint than synaptiks - out of the box syndaemon disables your touchpad until two seconds after you stop typing; and if you're typing two seconds is a long time

syndaemon(1) syndaemon(1)

NAME
          syndaemon - a program that monitors keyboard activity and disables the
          touchpad when the keyboard is being used.

SYNOPSIS
          syndaemon [-i idle-time] [-d] [-p pid-file] [-t] [-k] [-K] [-R] [-s]

DESCRIPTION
          Disabling the touchpad while typing avoids unwanted movements of the
          pointer that could lead to giving focus to the wrong window.

OPTIONS
          -i <idle-time>
          How many seconds to wait after the last key press before enabling
          the touchpad. (default is 2.0s).

-d Start as a daemon, ie in the background.

-p <pid-file>
          Create a pid file with the specified filename. A pid file will
          only be created if the program is started in daemon mode.

-t Only disable tapping and scrolling, not mouse movements, in
          response to keyboard activity.

-k Ignore modifier keys when monitoring keyboard activity.

-K Like -k but also ignore Modifier+Key combos.

-R Use the XRecord extension for detecting keyboard activity instead
          of polling the keyboard state.

-s Use a shared memory area to enable/disable the touchpad instead of
          device properties. WARNING: The SHM mechanism is not secure if you
          are in an untrusted multiuser environment. All local users can
          change the parameters at any time. This option requires the driver
          Option "SHMConfig" to be enabled.

ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
          DISPLAY
          Specifies the X server to contact.

CAVEATS
          It doesn't make much sense to connect to a remote X server, because the
          daemon will then monitor the remote server for keyboard activity, but will
          disable the touchpad on the local machine.

AUTHORS
          Peter Osterlund <petero2@telia.com>.

This man page was written by Mattia Dongili <malattia@debian.org>

SEE ALSO
          Xorg(1), synclient(1), synaptics(4)

X Version 11 xf86-input-synaptics 1.3.99 syndaemon(1)
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
            Looks like the applet can't find the appindicator python module, have you tried installing 'python-appindicator' (if it's not installed)?
            Yup.
            python-appindicator:
            Depends: libappindicator0 (=0.0.19-0ubuntu4) but 0.0.19-0ubuntu5 is to be installed
            The app requires a version 4 of libappindicator which is older than version 5, which is what I have installed.
            jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$ sudo apt-cache depends libappindicator0
            libappindicator0
            Depends: libatk1.0-0
            Depends: libc6
            Depends: libcairo2
            Depends: libdbus-1-3
            Depends: libdbus-glib-1-2
            Depends: libdbusmenu-glib1
            Depends: libdbusmenu-gtk1
            Depends: libfontconfig1
            Depends: libfreetype6
            Depends: libglib2.0-0
            Depends: libgtk2.0-0
            Depends: libindicator0
            Depends: libjson-glib-1.0-0
            Depends: libpango1.0-0
            Recommends: indicator-application
            jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$ sudo apt-cache rdepends libappindicator0
            libappindicator0
            Reverse Depends:
            libbrasero-media0
            deja-dup
            transmission-gtk
            rhythmbox-plugins
            nautilus
            libbrasero-media0
            gnome-settings-daemon
            gnome-control-center
            deja-dup
            transmission-gtk
            rhythmbox-plugins
            python-appindicator
            policykit-1-gnome
            nautilus
            libbrasero-media0
            libappindicator0.0-cil
            libappindicator-dev
            gnome-settings-daemon
            gnome-power-manager
            gnome-control-center
            gnome-bluetooth
            brasero
            I don't think I'll be downgrading to version 4.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
              That said, syndaemon is also pretty effective at touchpad control...
              The issue with this approach, at least here on my HP, is that my touchpad is a touch sensative 'screen' adhered to the front of the laptop below the space bar. Think of a touch screen. As such, my palms brush against it when typing, and that causes the cursor to move and reposition itself, or for the window to scroll. Not a good thing when typing. So, the touchpad-indicator application is a must for me when running Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                The issue with this approach, at least here on my HP, is that my touchpad is a touch sensative 'screen' adhered to the front of the laptop below the space bar. Think of a touch screen. As such, my palms brush against it when typing, and that causes the cursor to move and reposition itself, or for the window to scroll. Not a good thing when typing. So, the touchpad-indicator application is a must for me when running Ubuntu.
                I don't get it - syndaemon disables the touchpad while you're typing. I used it for quite awhile and the default two second delay was good for most everything but there's certainly nothing wrong with synaptiks (or touchpad-indicator) either - it's what I use now
                -- anais nin

Comment

You are refering to running in Ubuntu, yes? I have no problem with my HP touchpad in Kubuntu utilizing the synaptiks utility. With that, I just tell it to disable the touchpad when the mouse is plugged in.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    You are refering to running in Ubuntu, yes? I have no problem with my HP touchpad in Kubuntu utilizing the synaptiks utility. With that, I just tell it to disable the touchpad when the mouse is plugged in.
                    I used it in Ubuntu - on older hardware if RAM is an issue syndaemon uses considerably less memory than synaptiks.
                    -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                      ...syndaemon uses considerably less memory than synaptiks.
                      Agreed. I looked at installing synaptiks in Ubuntu, but didn't want all the KDE dependencies that it would bring in. Again, for me, the touchpad-indicator app form the ppa is just what I was looking for. Light, and it does what I want.

Comment

Yup.
                        python-appindicator:
                        Depends: libappindicator0 (=0.0.19-0ubuntu4) but 0.0.19-0ubuntu5 is to be installed
                        The app requires a version 4 of libappindicator which is older than version 5, which is what I have installed.
                        Hmm...dependency problems seem relatively common with ppas (especially if one uses many of them), but the version of libappindicator0 in the standard lucid repos seems to be (0.0.19-0ubuntu4), where have you gotten your installed version (0.0.19-0ubuntu5) from?

Comment

Hmm...dependency problems seem relatively common with ppas (especially if one uses many of them), but the version of libappindicator0 in the standard lucid repos seems to be (0.0.19-0ubuntu4), where have you gotten your installed version (0.0.19-0ubuntu5) from?
                          That's a question I asked myself. I checked back in the histories for both Synaptic and KPackageKit for the last year and could not find any reference to the installation of libappindicator0. So, my assumption is that it was loaded with one of the foreign deb packages that I installed. I haven't installed any of the rdepends packages that require it, so a foreign deb seems logical.

But, I'm not sure it matters. My hands and fingers shake too much to use the touch pad (always inadvertently tapping while trying to drag, etc...) and I used to run a script which used synclient to turn the touchpad off when I booted up. I haven't paid any attention to the touchpad in months and until this discussion assumed that my touchpad.sh script was still being run by KDE during startup. I checked a few days ago and noticed that it is no longer being run. Not only that, System Settings, Input Devices, Touch Pad, shows my touch pad as being active, but it is not ... save for the ability to hold the left touch pad button down while pushing a finger on the touch pad... which causes a four sided arrow to pop up to allow moving the selected windows around the desktop. That's the only thing which works.

But, as long as my touchpad isn't functioning and stays out of my way, I don't care.

Comment

But, I'm not sure it matters. My hands and fingers shake too much to use the touch pad (always inadvertently tapping while trying to drag, etc...) and I used to run a script which used synclient to turn the touchpad off when I booted up.
                            I hear you. I also don't need a daemon to manage my touchpad, and disable it during boot (Well...actually I just disable the tap-to-click feature so I can still move the cursor and scroll with it while avoiding the annoying accidental clicks)...and use a script via keyboard shortcut to enable (and disable again) the tapping if I want it activated (which is very rare...can't remember when I actually used it).

Just wanted to offer some suggestions, in case you were wondering why the applet didn't work for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X