This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refesh Rate

I installed Ubuntu 6.10 on my crappy PC w/ a crappy monitor. I had this problem in Windoze XP but not 98. Its cuz Windows XP by default has a higher refresh rate.

Anyways, after the load bar the screen flickers, I kinda was worried about this as the monitor cannot handle very high refresh rates! How can I lower the refresh rate when I cannot even see what I am even doing! Is there some kinda "Safe Mode" where I can simply set the refreash rate in normal mode, what are the steps I ought to be taking?
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Refesh Rate

I would recommend that you boot to a console so you can type at a command prompt. I'm not sure at what point the screen goes out, but if you get to the login screen but can't actually login, then select the "Console login" from the options menu. If you can't even get to that screen, then you need to boot and as soon as you see the list of boot options (it's the Grub screen), then hit the down arrow and select the "safe login" or "recovery mode" or whatever it's called.
    Let that run for a while and eventually you will get to a place that lets you login in a console. Login there.
    Then type "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and go.
    That will let you reconfigure xorg for your monitor. Walk through all the options probably just picking the defaults until you get to the monitor questions. Then pick the option that works right for your hardware.

Comment

I cant even log in, the screen flickers, so should I use grub?
      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I get an error about RSDP, I dunno if thats important.

Anyways, I used the command and it still doesnty work, I am gonna try using even lower settings..

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the error about RSDP. When do you get that error?
          Did you get a command prompt? Did you type in that command? If so, what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by gypsy98101
            I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the error about RSDP. When do you get that error?
            Did you get a command prompt? Did you type in that command? If so, what happened?
            I dont even know/think its related after I boot and it says "Starting" it then says "Unable to Locate RSDP"..

Anyways, I did Medium setting and selected the video mode and it went, thanks.

The sound device isnt detected, I dunno if should make a topic about that or not...

As far as I know ehternet works, I got into my Routers built in site (192.168.0.1) after some difficulty..

Comment

RSDP: Root System Description Pointer (ACPI)

Someone said that the ACPI wasn't supported by some old machines and it should be turned off...

Edit the GRUB list and add the part that's emphasized below...

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash noacpi acpi=off apm=on

Some other people said that they needed to go into the BIOS and unchecked the power management option.

You may check this link just in case...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=189190
              Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
              Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
              Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
              Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Working...
              X