X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Is Not Your Father's Linux!

Wow!!!

The last time I installed linux was 9 years ago. I hated it because I was not a super nerd that liked to tweak everything and run programs from a command line. I Had enough of that in college while programming on a vax/vms mainframe.

I have recently purchased a new system with win media center and just hated getting rid of an older computer running xp very slowly.

I put Kubuntu on my older computer (homemade AMD xp2000+) and wholly smokes it runs twice as fast as xp did. I was amazed at the ease of installing Kubuntu it took about 20 minutes to get my system up and running.

The only problem I had was getting it to read my d-link g122 rev. b1 dongle for my wireless network.

I started looking on the boards to see that people were having problems with this and using all kinds of workarounds. Human nature never allows us to try the simple things first. In fact I needed no work around and only had to enable the d-link unit in network settings first then click on refresh in the wireless assistant. Linux crashed (locked up) but after a reboot it read the d-link dongle and I had internet connection. (wildblue sattelite).

I am going to use both win xp and kubuntu. Kabuntu for web surfing, work from home connected to state mainframe, building my websites using apache and php natively (instead of on windows), and word processing.

My hats off to the linux community for making a truely human product and as I said this is not your father's linux (well ....maybe under the hood it is).

Joe Cox
Working...
X