This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Droidcam if you have an Android you GOTTA try this

Without getting into details I am in the need of purchasing a decent webcam.

I downloaded ALL of the webcam apps in the repos to test my decrepit old Logitech "white ball" camera and test them to verify that if the camera would interface with Kubu latest that the software would work.

And that got me to thinking... a DANGEROUS thing! lol... what if...I could use my Android phone for a webcam...even could I use it over WiFi!!??

Welll yes... Virginia...yes there IS a Santa Claus!

I won't get into details, if you want to do it you will figure it out, if you don't you won't.

The only thing that I will say is that the following apps will, out of the box, interface with the Android: Cheese, Guvcview.

Kamoso "knows it is there" but I could not get it to work and VLC has no clue or maybe I just don't understand the setup in VLC. (VLC DOES see a usb webcam out of the box).

a) you do have to download it from PlayStore: Droidcam
    b) you will have to do some command line stuff using this...IT ACTIVELY SUPPORTS LINUX...REALLY!!!!!!

Go the bottom and under Linux click the install button.

http://www.dev47apps.com/droidcam/

just copy and paste the commands ...one line at a time...lol...

without saying anything it does install.

Contrary to what is said about a menu item being provided it does not. it is in usr / bin under "droidcam" one can also run it from the run bar. do run run, do run run, aaayyyy!! lol

Have the phone app running first, and don't worry about the message to watch a video to do an enhanced stream...just look for the two urls for the camera and the computer. it is VERY SIMPLE to run on the camera.

So any way, go to usr / bin and click the droidcam executable or run it...

A very small little box pops into which you will have to type in the url for the wifi for the phone... that is the phone's url ...from the phone... type it into the little box.

Open one of the webcam apps and you will see yourself there in glorious hidef! or something will be there...maybe the surface of the desk...your big toe...lol...

but it provides a very high def image on the computer!! lol

Gotta do it folks!! lol

woodlikesitandnowwillpurchaseawebcamwithconfidence !smoke
Working...
X