Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended program to find duplicate files NOT in /home

Just installed 24.04.

Looking for a program/method to search out all the duplicate files I have in my dropbox/documents directory.

The one cavet is that the dropbox directory is NOT located under /home. I've moved it to a separate hard drive. That way when I do a fresh install of Linux (or go distro hopping), all I have to do is install dropbox and point the program to where everything is. It spends a couple hours indexing, and then is current.

The programs I've seen out there all work from within /home, and I can't figure out how to give it permission to go looking elsewhere.

Suggestions?

Which programs?
    Any should allow you to access anything with your user permissions, for this purpose;

This one is a good tool:
    https://qarmin.github.io/czkawka/czkawka_gui/

Comment

Czkawka, that's the first one i tried. wouldn't let me scan that directory because I didn't have permissions.

Update - I had that loaded for 22.04. Since I just fresh installed 24.04, I'm going to go install it and try again.

"Error opening directory '/media': Permission denied.
      Last edited by ScottyK; May 01, 2024, 10:02 AM.

Comment

That means your user doesn't have full write permissions for it, either. You will want to chown or chmod the directory to your user
        If you are the only user needing access to the directory:
        sudo chown -R your-username:your-username /some/dir/with/dropbox-directory

Last edited by claydoh; May 01, 2024, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X