Chrome won't install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome won't install

I'm testing the latest Kubuntu on an old but reliable machine. So far everything seems OK, except Google Chrome will
    not install!

After de-snapping Kubuntu I installed the Falkon browser so I could download the DEB file but after double-clicking
    on it and waiting an age I get a "Cannot satisfy dependencies" error!

I should have noted down what was missing but forgot to!

Am I alone in this?

Constant change is here to stay!

What is the output in Konsole when you sudo dpkg -i chromium_name.deb ?
    Perhaps even a simple sudo apt install --fix-broken afterwards could fix it… Otherwise you should at least know what the problem is.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 29, 2024, 05:57 PM. Reason: typo
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Sigh....

Installing it from Konsole worked with no errors! Double clicking on it gives this error:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Beerislife; Apr 29, 2024, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
        Sigh....

Installing it from Konsole worked with no errors! Double clicking on it gives this error:
        I leave in iran and i have to use vpn that is not in repo. In 23 kubuntu and mint it was working but gave same error on 24 gdebi fixed it but you have to do it with terminal it does not show up in open with menu.And g debi is available in deb repo in discover.

Comment

I suspect the dependency error is caused by Ubuntu devs who chose to add some t64 suffix to several distro packages. Others like Chrome devs weren't expecting this to ever happen so they have never been able to compile the browser against those libraries.

I downloaded Chromium from this website: https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/chromium/
          Yet, I still had to download an additional package, namely libjpeg62-turbo_2.1.5-2_amd64, from Debian because Kubuntu didn't include it.

There's a caveat: you might need to create a file in the /etc/apparmor.d directory and name it chromium.
          Here's the one I'm currently using:

Code:
          # This profile allows everything and only exists to give the
          # application a name instead of having the label "unconfined"

abi <abi/4.0>,
          include <tunables/global>

profile chromium /usr/lib/chromium/chromium{,-browser} flags=(unconfined) {
          userns,

# Site-specific additions and overrides. See local/README for details.
          include if exists <local/chromium>
          }
          ​
          Last edited by kyonides; May 01, 2024, 05:43 PM.
          Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
          Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
          Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
          Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides View Post

I suspect the dependency error is caused by Ubuntu devs

No, Qapt is just old and crusty.
            Qapt has had issues handling deps for a package here and there over the years.
            I am sort of surprised it is still used, since Discover handles debs well.

Comment

It's curious that you mention qapt but I had issues while trying to install both google chrome and a couple of chromium browsers. And I was using both the GUI and CLI then. That's why I was glad to find a version of chromium packaged as DEB files that really worked on my PC.
              Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
              Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
              Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
              Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Next time I boot my test machine I'll remove Qapt and let Discover handle things! I don't know
                why it was installed by default!

Comment

Same issue. I can't install Google Chrome in Kubuntu 24.04.
                  How to solve this problem?

Comment

Welcome.

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                    Installing it from Konsole worked with no errors!
                    Use e.g. sudo dpkg -i …

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks, I am surprised that I can find Chrome in /usr/share/applications, but I can't find Chrome in kubuntu application launcher.
                      I solved this problem by deteleting /home/xiao/.share/applications and recreate the same folder.

Comment

A simple kbuildsycoca5 could have been enough - or logging out and in again - or deleting the caches…
                        I cannot reproduce this, though, because I don't use Google's spyware browser but an individually configured Brave instead if I need something Chromium-based.
                        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 09, 2024, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X