So sad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So sad...

So sad to see so many beautiful software going down the drain as nobody cares to make an update to the latest libs for noble:
    - radiotray
    - pinta
    - kuser (alternative available: users-admin being part of gnome-system-tools )
    - ubuntu-tweak

T.

Pinta- still gtk2? ...Ok, no, not any longer. The old deprecated stuff was removed from Debian (which tricked down to Ubuntu), and the project prefers the use of flatpak/snap for later releases, so never bothered to maintain it for Debian
    https://launchpad.net/~pinta-maintai...u/pinta-stable
    Oh, good lord, it is a Mono application. THAT turns some people off all by itself.

Radio tray? that's been dead for ages as well, it hasn't been in Ubuntu since at least 2018.
    NG hasn't had a release since 2021. If someone wanted to build it for 24.04, it will happen, but if it is outdated, then no one will want to or have the coding know-how to make it work in current distros.

Kuser is ancient and hasn't been maintained in forever
    https://invent.kde.org/unmaintained/kuser

if these really were good, and popular, and had code bases that might be solid and and actually maintainable, then they probably would have beenmaintained, or had successors.

And like it or not, more than a few projects don't feel like wasting time building packages for each and every distro AND each distro release, and each one's unique sets of libraries and quirks. Not when there is something thatv allows them to deliver the same exact experience and code to everyone. If a project's community doesn't have the numbers, skills, and interest in individual packaging, then there isn't much one can do, without doing it yourself.
    It is a something that many people will have to deal with, get over, adapt to, or whatever, unfortunately.

Comment

It also looks like Neofetch has bit the dust, it's no longer maintained!

https://linuxiac.com/neofetch-tool-now-discontinued/
      Last edited by Beerislife; May 01, 2024, 05:22 PM.
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
        It also looks like Neofetch has bit the dust, it's no longer maintained!

https://linuxiac.com/neofetch-tool-now-discontinued/
        Yes, 4 years idle.
        BUT in this case there are more than a few active alternatives/forks/clones
        https://github.com/fastfetch-cli/fastfetch is probably the go to

neofetch is an 11,592 line bash script !!!!!??!??!?
        That might explain its sunsetting.

Comment

Fastfetch is still not in *Ubuntu's repositories…
          At least eza has replaced exa in 24.04!
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

https://github.com/fastfetch-cli/fas...ses/tag/2.11.0
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Beerislife; May 02, 2024, 01:11 AM.

Comment

claydoh
              Thank God... There are other up-to-date distros out there where distro makers and forum admins go the extra mile of making those apps available.
              Just check DistroWatch and look at those distros ranked above Kubuntu.
              T.

Comment

thohi
                Forum admins here can not do anything about the software available in Ubuntu's repositories if they are not additionally involved directly with or are e.g. employed by Ubuntu/Canonical… They are "just" voluntary forum admins - none of them is paid anything for their work here.
                And Kubuntu, Lubuntu, *ubuntu, etc. don't have their own repositories - they have to use the ones from Ubuntu. In case of Kubuntu the "distro makers" are nice enough to spend more of their free, private time supplying us with the Kubuntu Backports PPAs for things directly concerning KDE Plasma.
                But feel free to pay somebody to "go the extra mile" and put e.g. a PPA online personally for you if you don't want to or cannot "go the extra mile" yourself - or simply use a system where nice people have made the software that you need to use available for the public in their free time.

By the way: Canonical is a company and Ubuntu is their product, unlike for example Arch or Debian.
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 09, 2024, 05:47 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Right now I'm looking at Tuxedo OS... As long as I can remove the Tuxedo apps that won't work on my hardware, without breaking anything....!

Tuexedo must have updated their ISO, now the setup/installer ask which display server to use!
                  Last edited by Beerislife; May 09, 2024, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Yes, TUXEDO updates their ISOs approximately once a month (KDE neon does this more frequently).
                    They included the Wayland option because of KDE making Wayland the default in Plasma 6 - but TUXEDO OS 3 defaults to X11.
                    See Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240510_103900.png
Views:	70
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	679086 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240510_103553.png
Views:	68
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	679087 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto vom 2024-05-10 09-51-30.png
Size:	719.3 KB
ID:	679088 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto vom 2024-05-10 09-58-22.png
Size:	529.1 KB
ID:	679089

Didn't pay any of those

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                        Yes, TUXEDO updates their ISOs approximately once a month (KDE neon does this more frequently).
                        They included the Wayland option because of KDE making Wayland the default in Plasma 6 - but TUXEDO OS 3 defaults to X11.
                        See Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings
                        I snagged both ISOs earlier today.... I will try Tuxedo on my test machine and give Neon one more shot, probably with a new user, on this one!

Not happy with Kubby 24.04!

Comment

Beerislife

I don't think you will be happier with KDE Neon than you are with Kubuntu.

I ran both side-by-side for a couple of months and besides the hickups I'm discussing in this post I prefer Kubuntu over Neon. Neon's frequent updates (which even occur behind the scenes if you don't disable automatic updates) are really too confusing and time consuming in my eyes, and don't give you much of an advantage (unless you need to be cutting edge on the kernel for some reason).

Best,

T.

Comment

Schwarzer Kater

or simply use a system where nice people have made the software that you need to use available for the public in their free time.​
                            Indeed, that is what people will do and are already doing, because it's not the techno that makes the difference, it's the people.

And that is why Kubuntu stands where it stands, I'm afraid.

T.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                              I snagged both ISOs earlier today.... I will try Tuxedo on my test machine and give Neon one more shot, probably with a new user, on this one!
                              […]
                              If you had problems with Plasma 6 in KDE neon you will also have the same problems with TUXEDO OS 3 - unless those were perhaps Wayland vs. X11 problems.
                              At the moment those two are very much alike (more than KDE neon with Plasma 5.27.x and TUXEDO OS 2 were).

Comment

Working...
                              X