Installer failed to create a partition table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installer failed to create a partition table

EDIT: I ended up installing 22.04 until a later date when I'll try 24.04 again.

I had Ubuntu 22.04 on my laptop, and started installing Kubuntu 24.04 a few minutes ago.
    Went through the steps and chose the erase disk option, and when it came time for it to install, I got this error:

- - - - - - - - - -
    Installation Failed
    The installer failed to create a partition table on vgubuntu

Details:
    Create a new partition table (type: gpt) on '/dev/vgubuntu'
    Job: Create a new partition table on device '/dev/vgubuntu'
    - - - - - - - - - -

I'm fairly new to this, so please explain things like I'm an idiot, lol.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Joel64; May 02, 2024, 10:14 AM.

/dev/vgubuntu is 'odd'

What are you attempting to install to? What type of PC do you have? Specifications please. From what are you installing from? How did you create the installation media?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      /dev/vgubuntu is 'odd'

What are you attempting to install to? What type of PC do you have? Specifications please. From what are you installing from? How did you create the installation media?
      It's an HP laptop, only a couple years old, came with Windows 11. I installed Ubuntu 22.04 on it a few weeks ago.

I downloaded the Kubuntu 24.04 ISO to my laptop, then created an installation USB from that.

vgubuntu was the partition that Ubuntu was on. The hard drive is an internal 1TB SSD.

Comment

Sound like you had LVM enabled for the Kubuntu 22.04 LTS installation (possibly encryption with LUKS too)…
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          Sound like you had LVM enabled for the Kubuntu 22.04 LTS installation (possibly encryption with LUKS too)…
          I was using Ubuntu 22.04 LTS previously. And yes, it was LVM / LUKS enabled.
          Last edited by Joel64; May 02, 2024, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X