Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 24.04 Minimal Install bug

Dear Team,

On Kubuntu 24.04, during installation if you choose minimal installation, the machine won´t boot it will remain a black screen, it only boots on normal installation.

Thanks

Welcome.

Please provide more informations about e.g. your hardware, how you "burned" the Kubuntu ISO file to an USB stick and about what exactly you did do step-by-step.
    Otherwise nobody will be able to solve your problem.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Dear Schwarzer Kater,

I use Ventoy boot app, copy Kubuntu 24.04 Iso to an usb stick, my machine is a tower PC, i7 3770, 32 gigs ram, follow all installation instructions, and choose minimal install, I follow all steps , the same as normal installation, only difference is normal vs minimal install, on normal install it boots, on minimal doesn´t boot, it remains black screen forever, hence the bug, you can try yourself and see if it boots.

Thanks

Comment

I will possibly do that and install it on one of my computers by the end of next week (at the earliest).
        Perhaps someone else has something to report in the meantime…

I have only used the "Minimal Installation" option in virtual machines (both with MBR and GPT virtual disks, without and with EFI) so far (about two or three dozen times…) and it never gave me any problems after reboot.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 01, 2024, 11:19 AM. Reason: addition

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I'm not the only one experiencing minimal install no boot, only black screen.

system installation - Kubuntu 24.04 not booting - Ask Ubuntu

Comment

I did a minimal install on a Beelink Mini S PC yesterday and it went without a hitch.

To my surprise, no Snaps were installed! Nice!
            Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I have already managed to boot on minimal, but not by normal means, after installation of Kubuntu, do not boot on normal boot, but instead head to advanced menu and choose recovery mode, kubuntu with Linux 6.8.0.31 generic (recovery mode), where you can see the boot logs and messages, it appears a recovery menu, just choose resume, and voila you boot to desktop.

After that, just uninstall stock kernel 6.8.0.31 and install another kernel, I used Xanmod LTS Kernel, reboot and then you have normal functionality without any black screen or halts on booting.

The kernel 6.8.0.31 is the cause of this boot issue, and it seems to happen when the user has a discrete GPU, probably those computers that rely on internal CPU video, don´t have this issue, hence virtual machines and Beelink Mini S PC boots without any problem.

My gpu is AMD Radeon btw.

I now have minimal desktop without Snaps installed which I must appreciate, I use Linux for coding, I'm a computer science student.
              Attached Files

Comment

Glad you got it fixed! I'm toying with replacing KDE Neon with a minimal install of 22.04 because I really need
                to have a Japanese IM on this machine and it's broken here (That's in another thread) It also has a Radeon GPU
                so now I'm hesitant to do it!

Comment

OT:

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                  I did a minimal install on a Beelink Mini S PC yesterday and it went without a hitch.

To my surprise, no Snaps were installed! Nice!
                  Yes, Kubuntu & Lubuntu 24.04 LTS both can install this way without Snaps. - which is a welcome option for some people.

But beware: the moment you try to install e.g. Firefox, Chromium or Thunderbird with apt, Canonical's "fake" packages get installed that automatically install both snapd and the Snap !
                  The only way to prevent this is to block snapd either with the get rid of Snap script or manually (e.g. with Kate) by writing a file (e.g. called no_snapd.pref) to /etc/apt/preferences.d that contains
                  Code:
                  # To prevent repository packages from triggering the installation of Snap,
                  # this file forbids snapd from being installed by APT.

Package: snapd
                  Pin: release a=*
                  Pin-Priority: -10​
                  Or you can do this by copying and pasting the following command to the Konsole terminal emulator:
                  echo -e "# To prevent repository packages from triggering the installation of Snap,\n# this file forbids snapd from being installed by APT.\n\nPackage: snapd\nPin: release a=*\nPin-Priority: -10" | sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/no_snapd.pref

This is the exact way how e.g. Linux Mint or TUXEDO OS block Snaps.

--> and don't forget at least to correct the possible installer bug with ext4 file systems after installing Kubuntu 24.04 LTS !
                  Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 03, 2024, 02:31 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Don't worry, the first thing I did was to run your script(s)

All is well! I was thinking about using the official Mozilla repo if it's ready for 24.04...

Comment

I rather install appimage of ThunderBird until ppas comes out for noble release to assure up do date software, in the meanwhile, where is one working for Thunderbird.

https://appimage.github.io/Thunderbird/

Must better than go to snap builds

Comment

I'm very happy new with this Kubuntu 24.04, I have been using Linux for quite some time, never seen so much stability and rock solid operating system like this one, congratulations for the team behind it.

Comment

Working...
                        X