New upgrade procedure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New upgrade procedure?

I'm preparing to move from 22.04 to 24.04. I have backed up my /Home files (and some others) to an external source. But before I manage to shoot myself in the foot, do I understand correctly that the new upgrade process should upgrade the OS but leave my existing /Home fully intact? That would be a great improvement, although there has always been a work-around to accomplish that result.

I'm curious, though, what the new system does with partitions. Does it alter them at all if the existing partitions are large enough to serve all purposes under 24.04? If it does alter partitions, how does that square with leaving /Home untouched?

Thanks. Enjoy the weekend.

In my tests the release-upgrade processes in Konsole have not altered /home ever (only e.g. settings files if anything)…

Nor has the process altered any partitions when release-upgrading to Kubuntu 24.04 LTS.

But please read the warning in https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...563#post678563 first!
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 26, 2024, 09:12 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks. The nuisance of doing a fresh install, of course, is having to reinstall programs/packages. Since I've already backed up, perhaps I will try the upgrade process. If it goes sour, I can always do a fresh install and copy my backup /Home into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
        ... /Home ...
        That should be /home with a lowercase h. Perhaps you are using a smartphone and it is capitalizing what it thinks is the first word in a sentence, but I mention it because you might lose data if you're not clear about the difference.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks, J. The phone is smart. The user isn't.

Comment

Working...
          X