No new release found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No new release found

Kubuntu News: Note: For upgrades from 23.10, there may a delay of a few hours to days between the official release announcements and the Ubuntu Release Team enabling upgrades.

Any forcast how long we will have to wait?​

You can already upgrade from Kubuntu 23.10 by using the -d flag (roughly meaning "for development case") when trying to release-upgrade to Kubuntu 24.04 LTS in the Konsole terminal emulator:
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Warning: As with almost any (still officially unsupported) upgrade between major releases of an operating system, this process carries an inherent risk of failure, data loss, or broken software configuration. Comprehensive backups are strongly advised.

To avoid these problems, I recommend migrating to a fresh Kubuntu 24.04 LTS rather than upgrading in-place.​
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 27, 2024, 09:10 AM. Reason: addition
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Code:
      Checking for a new Ubuntu release
      Please install all available updates for your release before upgrading.
      I am completely up-to-date except for Firefox, where I use the Mozilla version, not the snap version. Seems I'll have to unninstall Firefox

Comment

You should probably be able to use Script to reinstall Snap for release-upgrade for that - depending on how you installed the "traditional" Firefox before or on other system modifications you may have made…
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 26, 2024, 10:14 AM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Heya, i had the same problem, on my konsole i had that :
          Code:
          sayaniku@Sayaniku-Kubuntu:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop
          There is no development version of an LTS available.
          To upgrade to the latest non-LTS development release  
          set Prompt=normal in /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades.
          sayaniku@Sayaniku-Kubuntu:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
          There is no development version of an LTS available.
          To upgrade to the latest non-LTS development release  
          set Prompt=normal in /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades.
          Everything is up to date

The system is 3 days ago, and i don't want to reinstall everything again

long time i didn't use the forums so sorry if that aren't good

Comment

I just checked: the sudo do-release-upgrade -d in Konsole only works from Kubuntu 23.10 to Kubuntu 24.04 LTS for me (if the settings in sudo software-properties-qt are "Long term support releases only" in 22.04 LTS).
            They must not be "Never" in -> Updates -> Release upgrade there, though!

One "workaround" would be to release-upgrade from 22.04 LTS to 23.10 first and afterwards from 23.10 to 24.04 LTS - and a this point I strongly recommend to install a new 24.04 LTS.

I guess you will have to either wait or install Kubuntu 24.04 LTS fresh if you currently are using Kubuntu 22.04 LTS

And welcome, by the way.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 26, 2024, 01:00 PM. Reason: correction and addition

Comment

yeah so i'm making the workarround, busy to reinstall kubuntu, afterall i had windows so, not an great thing if kubuntu decided to don't boot at any time

Comment

For all: See https://askubuntu.com/questions/1511...-kubuntu-24-04
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

… and please don't modify your /etc/apt/sources.list like some jesters over there did!

Comment

It is VERY common for upgrades to be held back, and is nothing unusual. The Kubuntu announcement does state "hours or days", as it does every release.

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                    … and please don't modify your /etc/apt/sources.list like some jesters over there did!
                    This happens every 6 months. I have no idea where they get the idea from.

Oh, yeah. Debian, they get it from Debian, assuming that Ubuntu works 100% identically to that.
                    The same sort of thinking is how neon ended up deciding to push Pkcon, since apt full-upgrade is too hard, or something.
                    Now, people think it is a special thing, and the they replaced apt with it, is mandatory. and all sorts of foolishness.

Comment

Removed Firefox (and Thunderbird for good measure) and - eureka! -
                      let me upgrade - very smothly. Remains to figure out how to install Firefox and Thunderbird without snap. Will have a look at some of the links above.

Comment

Trad Firefox easy, same proceedure as before. Cannot find traditional Thunderbird, only snap and flatpak. Opted for flatpak as the lesser evil

Comment

also containing (in the "individual and potentially less important things to do" section):
                          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 27, 2024, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Schwarzer Kater Thank!. Could not the find traditional Thunderbird on the Mozilla.org website, whereas your script seems to use it? Is the script using the "tar-ball"?

Comment

Yes, both of the scripts use the .tar and install Firefox and Thunderbird to /opt . This way one can use these programs instead of or additionally to the Snaps , they update themselves (and can ask you if you want them to - see their settings) and they are not touched when release-upgrading to the next Kubuntu version.

Also see https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...725#post676725 for the link to Mozilla.org .

PS:
                              If you want to do this "by hand" I strongly advise to put the .desktop files in /usr/local/share/applications instead of e.g. /usr/share/applications !
                              This way you will avoid problems with the Snaps, "fake" packages from *Ubuntu and other situations.
                              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 27, 2024, 07:57 AM. Reason: added PS

Comment

Working...
                              X