Download link wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download link wrong

The download link for 24.04 points to the download for 23.10! Please fix this Oopsy .
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
    The download link for 24.04
    What link are you referring to? I go to Kubuntu 24.04 (Noble Numbat) Daily Build
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      What link are you referring to?
      The normal one:
      https://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/
      as linked to in the announcement:
      https://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-24-...mbat-released/

The release image is actually what the download page would be linking to, not in the daily build. they jest forgetted to update the page.

Comment

If someone didn't move the final over to the "normal" download page from the Daily Build page, that's O.K. Just waiting 'til they fix their "oops". I still want to see if the installer refuses to work if the EFI partition id < 300MB, or 500MB, or 1GB or whatever other foolishness is being pushed

/boot/efi is the normal home for the EFI files, and the rest of the OS images/grub/etc. are in /boot.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
          I still want to see if the installer refuses to work if the EFI partition id < 300MB, or 500MB, or 1GB or whatever other foolishness is being pushed
          It is probably Calamares' default setting, BUT it is configurable in a /calamares/desktop/modules/partition.conf file before running the installer.

docs:
          https://github.com/calamares/calamar...partition.conf

Neon's has the 300 size, and only has a line enabling the LUKS option in that file, so I do think that this is just the default or fallback set by Calamares' devs.

Comment

If you are on https://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-24-...mbat-released/ and scroll to the bottom where it says Download Kubuntu 24.04​ it goes to a page that allows you to download Kubuntu 23.10 or 22.04.4 LTS. They need to fix this.
            Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              It is probably Calamares' default setting, BUT it is configurable in a /calamares/desktop/modules/partition.conf file before running the installer.

docs:
              https://github.com/calamares/calamar...partition.conf

Neon's has the 300 size, and only has a line enabling the LUKS option in that file, so I do think that this is just the default or fallback set by Calamares' devs.
              Thanks for the clarity and references. I'll be looking at that. Is manual setup still a thing? If so, then does the Calamares installer then over-ride the user's manual partitioning scheme?

Sorry for all the questions, but "inquiring minds ..." and all that.
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

OT:

[…]
                Is manual setup still a thing? If so, then does the Calamares installer then over-ride the user's manual partitioning scheme?
                […]
                Don't apologise for questions.
                Of course it is. There are hundreds of different use cases that require different partitioning schemes…

The manual partitioning in Calamares works pretty well. And it only over-rides your partition scheme if you tell it to.
                Just be aware for example in set-ups with multiple ESPs or if you use the same swap partitions from different Linux systems (wrongly used ESPs, possibly changing UUIDs, etc.).

PS and on topic again:
                By the way - here one can find the correct download link for Kubuntu 24.04 LTS -> Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 26, 2024, 09:23 AM.
                Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks for the clarity and references. I'll be looking at that. Is manual setup still a thing? If so, then does the Calamares installer then over-ride the user's manual partitioning scheme?
                  Calamares is just fairly configurable, and it seems fairly easy overall. Good for disttros to change thins as needed to fit whatever needs and system configurations it might be using.
                  A side benny is that those who might want to change break something before beginning are able to easily screw things up tweak something. Neon used to have an incorrect/outdated space-cache setting for btrfs, and one fix was a quick edit before installing.
                  Manual installs of course are available.
                  Calamares is quite similar in layout and process to Ubiquity, so it will feel very familiar.

Comment

O.K., downloaded and checksummed. I'll burn it and try a clean install sometime this weekend.
                    And thanks for all the help

Comment

Schwarzer Kater I have downloaded your scripts for killing snaps and installing "traditional" FF and TBird. Is there a non-snap replacement for the firmware updater? Sorry if I missed that before

EDIT: NEVER MIND: I found it in your 30 March post Thank you again for doing this.
                      Last edited by jglen490; Apr 26, 2024, 05:03 PM.

Comment

OT:

Schwarzer Kater[…] Is there a non-snap replacement for the firmware updater? Sorry if I missed that before

EDIT: NEVER MIND: I found it in your 30 March post Thank you again for doing this.
                        You are welcome.

Alternatives and a replacement for the Firmware Updater Snap are mentioned at the beginning of the "Additional tipps" section.
                        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 27, 2024, 10:12 AM.
                        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
                        X