trying to restore Home folder from backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to restore Home folder from backup

I thought I had been regularly backing up my system via System Settings -> Backups. I just installed a clean kubuntu 24.04 and tried to restore the folder from System Settings -> Backups​ -> Open and Restore from Existing Backups but File Digger can't find the archive. I can see the files bupindex.hlink (3.3 KB), bupindex.meta (7.8 MB) and bupindex (55.4 MB) as well as a few hidden files, but nothing that Restore can use. Am I missing something?

In the file digger, you just select the directory that has branches, hooks, etc.

See my example below, though it may be a little bit different in appearance. The location to click OK on is the same.
    You don't select a file, but the location where they are, so just click OK when you are in that directory:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240502_173248-1.png
Views:	71
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	678837

Comment

that's it -- thanks claydoh -- in terms of upgrading from 22.04 to 24.04, there are 2 options 'Restore the folder under a new name' and 'Merge folders', which overwrites everything...would overwriting profiles and settings bork the new system?

Comment

Probably not. Restoring under a new name/location would allow you to manually restore as little or as much as you want.
        The issue may be replacing *everything* while logged in as that user. Current settings being stored in ram might get written back to disk, maybe while restoring (maybe?) which theoretically might make things funky.
        But if this is a fresh, steamy, warm new install this may not be much to worry about.

If worried, I would suggest restoring the files while logged out of Plasma.
        One way is to restore from a live USB.
        Another is to restore to a new name/location (there should be a /papapenguin dir in there)
        Log out of plasma or boot to a live usb
        rename your current /home/papapenguin dir to something else
        then move that restored /papapenguin dir to /home
        reboot/log back in to plasma.
        Delete the original, renamed dir if desired.

goodness, it is easier to do this than it is to say it, lol!

Comment

Working...
        X