Black Screen after install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Screen after install

I installed Kubuntu 24.04 last night, updated and installed a few packages. I then shutdown. Today I boot it up, black screen... force shutdown now and reboot black screen..
    Boot into Windows, everything works, boot into Ubuntu 24.04 works. I boot back into Kubuntu black screen.

I again hard powerdown, then reboot into recovery mode, fix broken packages (none to be fixed) and then continue booting. Which it completes, I log in and start google searching.
    Which points me to Kubuntu not using the correctdrivers, I check what the graphics display says it is using, in the gui and It shows

Graphics Processor: llvmpipe

Which is a no go.

My Dell XPS 15 9530 has a Nvidia GeForce RTX 4050 and Intel i7-13700H with built in GPU... So either way Kubuntu should be using one of the other... preferably the Nvidia GPU

lspci | grep VGA returns

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Raptor Lake-P [Iris Xe Graphics] (rev 04)

no nvidia info

nvidia-smi is unknown, so I run ubuntu-drivers install and it installs nvidia 535.171.04 (which is what shows under Ubuntu 24.04 FYI)

I then rebooted, and ... was treated to a black screen, again.
    So far the ONLY way I can get into Kubuntu is boot into a recovery mode from grub, then continue booting.

The GUI driver manager shows the Nvidia Driver is being used.. but I am at a lose as to why the black screen on boot.

Welcome.

The most recent driver in the (K)Ubuntu repositories that supports your Nvidia GeForce RTX 4050 is nvidia-driver-550 - perhaps the ubuntu-drivers is not up-to-date yet…

Which driver version do you use in Ubuntu 24.04 LTS (GNOME)?​
    Have you already tried the 550.x driver?
    sudo apt update && sudo apt install nvidia-driver-550 (or sudo ubuntu-drivers install nvidia:550 - but I think somebody reported that the latter didn't work…).

PS: Better not use the nvidia-driver-xxx-open version of the driver (yet) - I have only heard about even more problems with Nvidia and this one…
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 29, 2024, 04:37 PM. Reason: added PS
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I have an ASUS R501VM ​ with an Nvidia graphics card and the drivers are not supported on Noble. So I purged all nvidia software and I now have drivers such as: xserver-xorg-video-all, xserver-xorg-video-ati, xserver-xorg-video-intel, vdpau-driver-all, mesa-vdpau-drivers and a few other packages.

My ASUS is working well with the NVIDIA drivers purged. I will be interested to see what advances are made with Plasma 6 and other drivers. If NVIDIA drivers fail again, I know how to recover my system.

Comment

NoWorries,

That does not seem correct.

The 'ubuntu-drivers-list' command shows the Nvidia 535 drivers, and my ubuntu install is using them perfectly fine for my nvidia card, when I boot into ubuntu.

This article on the ubuntu bug reports, shows they where not able to test 550, so unless your card requires those specific drivers. It is not getting offered to install at this time.
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...0/+bug/2061830

And even if that was true, wouldn't kubuntu be using the Intel CPUs GPU?
        Kubuntu sees both the Nvidia GPU, and the Intel CPU-GPU in my system, it loaded drivers for the Intel GPU automatically upon installing. It did not load any Nvidia drivers.

And when I rebooted (not the reboot right after install), it shut down nicely, but refused to display anything but a black screen. From what I have read, you can ssh into the system and see that is it up and waiting for you to log in, Its just failing to show anything on the display. So unless Kubuntu did something funky with the driver support with their "port" of Ubuntu 24.04 it should work.

Comment

Schwarzer Kater,

Ubuntus GUI System Detials shows

Graphics
          Intel Graphics (RPL-P)

Graphics 1
          Nvidia GeForce RTX 4040 Laptop GPU

The nvidia-smi command shows Ubuntu auto loaded 535.171.04 during the install.

As I replied to NoWorries, it looks like the Ubuntu team did not get to test 550 during beta so they are not currently using it, unless your GPU requires it.

Comment

Hi,
            Any solutions yet? I have a Dell XPS15 with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050. I have tried eliminating "quiet splash" from the GRUB command, adding "nomodset" to no avail.

I have the nvidia drivers installed, etc.

Thanks

BTW I upgraded the Nvidia drivers to the latest version (550) and it did not fix the problem.

Comment

Well, the problem was finally "solved" by reinstalling everything and then eliminate the "quite splash" options, ASAP. Things are not fine, however. I cannot "log out" from the session, I get a black screen. Wayland is not working at all.... (I had been using wayland already for a couple of years...). I am using the 535 version of the drivers.

Comment

If you want to have a better Wayland experience with KDE Plasma (and you have to use Wayland for some reason) I suggest to give a distribution a try that ships Plasma 6 like TUXEDO OS 3, openSUSE Tumbleweed, EndeavorOS or Fedora KDE. From what I have noticed the Wayland experience there is better than in Plasma 5.27.x - I have heard even with Nvidia.
                Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
                X