Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appimages, Libfuse2

Hi all

how do I get my Appimages to run in 24.04 LTS? I tried to install libfuse2 but apt says that libfuse2t64 was picked and it is already installed in the newest version.
    I don`t think there will be a fix from Kubuntu... so what am I supposed to do?
    By the way: the new shiny installer does not let you install Kubuntu on a external drive encrypted (maybe not encrypted also or not at all, I didn` try that), what a shame. (It would let you.. but it still crashes during partitioning)

libfuse2t64 and libfuse3-3 are already installed by default in Kubuntu 24.04 LTS.

Some AppImages start out of the box (e.g. the Kdenlive 23.08.5 AppImage), some don't (e.g. the balena Etcher 1.18.11 AppImage).
    This is kind of a déjà vu…

What is the output when you start the AppImage(s) in Konsole ?
    Make sure that the AppImage is executable before.​

You can run e.g. the balena Etcher AppImage without sandboxing with the --no-sandbox flag in Konsole.
    But only do this with applications you got from a trustworthy source!

You can try if this method works for the specific AppImage(s) you want to start:
    ./name_of_the_program.AppImage --no-sandbox

Some AppImages might already work with the --disable-gpu-sandbox flag…

I have (again) made an alias in .bash_aliases for the balena Etcher AppImage (I also want to use it with the KDE Plasma file picker):
    alias etcher="Exec=env GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 $HOME/Applications/balenaEtcher-1.18.11-x64.AppImage --no-sandbox"

PS:
    If you want to start AppImages from the GUI (for those that work e.g. without the --no-sandbox flag), check that
    in Dolphin -> "hamburger menu" -> Configure -> Configure Dolphin… -> General -> Confirmations -> is set at least to "Always ask".
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 28, 2024, 07:13 AM. Reason: additions
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      You can run e.g. the balena Etcher AppImage without sandboxing with the --no-sandbox flag in Konsole.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The output in the terminal is e.g.:
      kubuntu-admin-24-04@admin-2404-Yoga-Slim-7-ProX-14ARH7:~/Documents/System/Programme/AppImages$ ./Joplin-2.14.20.AppImage
      [30327:0428/210440.157945:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(158)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found,
      but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make
      sure that /tmp/.mount_JoplinQXu8FN/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
      Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
      kubuntu-admin-24-04@admin-2404-Yoga-Slim-7-ProX-14ARH7:~/Documents/System/Programme/AppImages$ ./Joplin-2.14.20.AppImage --no-sandbox
      Sentry: Initialized with autoUploadCrashDumps: false

(@joplinapp-desktop:30750): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 21:06:19.838: About to Show called on an item
      wihtout submenus. We're ignoring it.

(@joplinapp-desktop:30750): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 21:06:19.839: About to Show called on an item
      wihtout submenus. We're ignoring it.

I added the --no-sandbox argument in the menu editor to the .desktop-files of my shortcuts for the app images - that works easily as a workaround.
      Since 24.04 is the next LTS, one can hope that the app vendors will adapt their app images over time. On the other hand, I find it a very poor development on Ubuntu's part to leave some (certainly many) users out in the cold with a bunch of non-functional apps. I have never experienced such a user-unfriendly drop in functionality with macOS or Windows. Perhaps this is part of the ridiculous strategy of gradually driving everyone to Snaps. That would indeed have something Big Tech-like about it.​
      Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 29, 2024, 08:31 AM.

Comment

It is is an issue with apparmor it seems, not necessarily specific to Ubuntu, and affects all Electron appimages?
        Joplin had set a workaround for 23.10, but hadn't done so for 24.04
        It has been fairly rare, but appimages sometimes have issues like this that pop up over the years.

https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/41066
        https://github.com/laurent22/joplin/issues/10332

I wonder if a newer release (3.0.6) pre-release works correctly?

Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 29, 2024, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X