This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Multiple Monitor Support

When trying to use multiple monitors (extended) not replicated with different resolutions it skews the image on both screens. Anyone else suffering the same issue?
  • Answer selected by Snowhog at Apr 27, 2024, 08:34 AM.

The solution if anyone is interested is to run in konsole:
    xrandr

Make note of your displays names. and in my case this resolved the using x.11:
    xrandr --fb 1920x1080 --output LVDS1 --mode 1280x800 --scale-from 1920x1080 --output DVI1 --mode 1920x1080 --scale 1x1 --same-as LVDS1

wayland is even more unstable

Comment

Sorry this should have probably gone in the desktop environment support. I am new the to forum.

Comment

Welcome.

Some more information about you hardware (system) and your exact settings/set-up could help to solve your problem.

In general one of the first things you can do in a Linux system when problems occur is to test if they are still there in a new user account.
        But in your case I suppose it was a fresh installation of Kubuntu 24.04 LTS anyhow, so there are e.g. no old settings or cache files in your user account?
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thats correct, Fresh install on a laptop. Nothing old was kept.

Primary laptop display 1280 x 800 (16:10) and external monitor is 1920 x 1080 (16:9).

This laptop was previously running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS with Pro with no issues, I had stuck with that as the kernel support in 20.04 wasnt very good with realtek DVB-T usb dongle I had. I never bothered with 22.04 just out of laziness really. But I was keen on 24.04 and everything is working great. however multimonitor support is broken.

I wish I could screen grab it, but bascially the external monitor squishes the display of the 16:10 laptop display into a 16:9 and the external monitors display is bled over the two screens however the locations of buttons etc are exactly where they should be. ie you need to press on an area about an inch or 2.5cm to the right of the button to get it to work.

Comment

you can actually cause the problem on a single display.

go into display configuration, change your resolution to something else, change it back and monitor is all messed up until you reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by heresy View Post
              you can actually cause the problem on a single display.

go into display configuration, change your resolution to something else, change it back and monitor is all messed up until you reboot.
              Not in my three systems I just have tested this with…

Perhaps you have an Nvidia GPU?
              Or you are using Wayland ?
              Or both?
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 26, 2024, 09:21 AM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Its an intel gpu and using the default x.11. Other distros are suggesting its an KDE 5.27 problem and to change to wayland as a fix or some heavy manual editing of x.11 conf files. I will give wayland a go.

Comment

To try Wayland in Kubuntu 24.04 LTS you have to sudo apt update && sudo apt install plasma-workspace-wayland first.

Afterwards you can change to the Wayland session on the log-in screen.

Comment

Using wayland fixes the issue! Unfortunately its not as stable, random but infrequent hard freezing. Also lose a bit of functionality, ie display replcation. I am going to edit the input methods to see if that is related to why its unstable and go from there.

Comment

Change all the IM and did some adjusting. Wayland works great for the desktop and fixes the multiple display issue. Unfortunately, the random app rendering and freezing still persists. I think I will roll back to previous LTS until 24.04.1 is released. Im sure I cant be the only one suffering this issue.

Comment

It has not been that long since 24.04 has been released…
                        Perhaps you can already find a solution within the coming weeks when others also have had this problem - if not I hope that the issue will be resolved for you with the release of 24.04.1 !

Comment

I actually did find a solution using xrandr. However 24.04 is still unstable. I would consider it still in beta. I will wait for 24.04.1 and see if issue is either resolved or use xrandr and see if the release stable.

Comment

The solution if anyone is interested is to run in konsole:
                            xrandr

Make note of your displays names. and in my case this resolved the using x.11:
                            xrandr --fb 1920x1080 --output LVDS1 --mode 1280x800 --scale-from 1920x1080 --output DVI1 --mode 1920x1080 --scale 1x1 --same-as LVDS1

wayland is even more unstable

Comment

Working...
                            X