Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems adding and removing network interfaces

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Supersayano
    replied
    Bingo! It seems that the 'Conexión cableada' network interface is not actually displayed in the tray list if there is no cable connected to it, that is, to that network card. And once the cable is disconnected it disappears from the tray list again.
    It really is a strange behavior for me because until recently the 'Conexión cableada' network interface was ALWAYS shown in the tray list even though this network card never had a cable connected to it. Maybe this change could be due to an update?. Anyway, it doesn't matter since now I know that if the cable is connected it will appear. Problem solved.
    Thank you all very much for all the help provided.
    Greetings...






    Last edited by Supersayano; Nov 08, 2024, 01:13 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Virginio Miranda
    replied
    Well, let us see.....

    As i can see you have two nic interfaces. One 2,5 GB and one 1 GB. So, 2.5 GB is connected and the other no. You said that the 1 GB nic is not showing in the system tray, is not it?

    A simple question and sorry to ask about it...but what happens if you connect the lan cable on 1GB nic? Is it appear on the system tray?

    I am asking that simple question because if i disconnect my gigabit nic card it does not appear on the system tray too.

    Leave a comment:


  • Supersayano
    replied
    Do you mean this?.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20241108_174307.png
Views:	185
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	683713

    As you can see, the network interface called 'Conexión cableada' already exists. But I have deleted it and recreated it following your suggestion. Unfortunately, that has not changed anything. The network interface called 'Conexión cableada' still does not appear in the list of networks in the system tray as it did before.
    Regards...

    Leave a comment:


  • Virginio Miranda
    replied
    Originally posted by Supersayano View Post
    What do you mean?.
    Greetings...
    settings>Network>Connections and look at plus sign ( add new connection )

    Leave a comment:


  • Supersayano
    replied
    What do you mean?.
    Greetings...

    Leave a comment:


  • Virginio Miranda
    replied
    Did you try to add it again?

    Leave a comment:


  • Supersayano
    replied
    Io is a loopback interface and is a virtual interface. It is not linked to any kind of physical or other logical interface. It can be used for routing protocol ​to paths for a device. Several programs can use this, like antivirus, a Cloud or a Firewall for example. A 127.0.0.1 or Localhost is one of the usage. It is not necessary to disable or uninstall this.
    OK, thank you very much Virginio Miranda. And what about the 'Conexión cableada' not appearing in the tray? Do you know why this could be and how to fix it?.
    Regards...

    Leave a comment:


  • Virginio Miranda
    replied
    Originally posted by Supersayano View Post

    On the other hand... could someone tell me what is this network called 'lo' that appears and that does not let me delete? Is this normal? And I would also like to know why the network interface called 'Conexión cableada' does not appear in the list of networks in the tray.
    Thanks and greetings...
    Io is a loopback interface and is a virtual interface. It is not linked to any kind of physical or other logical interface. It can be used for routing protocol ​to paths for a device. Several programs can use this, like antivirus, a Cloud or a Firewall for example. A 127.0.0.1 or Localhost is one of the usage. It is not necessary to disable or uninstall this.

    Leave a comment:


  • Supersayano
    replied
    I'm pasting here as an example the content of one of those files ( the file is called 90-NM-1a56b9bc-f1ca-48d1-bed0-695ba447b6e3.yaml ) with the password obviously edited:

    Code:
    network:
      version: 2
      wifis:
        NM-1a56b9bc-f1ca-48d1-bed0-695ba447b6e3:
          renderer: NetworkManager
          match: {}
          dhcp4: true
          dhcp6: true
          ipv6-address-generation: "stable-privacy"
          access-points:
            "74;117;108;105;111;32;67;195;169;115;97;114;32;53;71;45;50;":
              auth:
                key-management: "psk"
                password: "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
              networkmanager:
                uuid: "1a56b9bc-f1ca-48d1-bed0-695ba447b6e3"
                name: "Julio César 5G-2"
                passthrough:
                  connection.autoconnect: "false"
                  ipv6.ip6-privacy: "-1"
                  proxy._: ""
          networkmanager:
            uuid: "1a56b9bc-f1ca-48d1-bed0-695ba447b6e3"
            name: "Julio César 5G-2"
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX would be the password that I have obviously edited by changing it to the X's.
    Regards...

    Leave a comment:


  • Snowhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Supersayano View Post
    I even noticed with horror that the wifi password appears in plain text in them, which I don't know if it's normal
    I can only say that here, those files do not contain my wi-fi password, plain-text or encrypted.

    Leave a comment:


  • Supersayano
    replied
    Navigate to /etc/NetworkManager and open the NetworkManager.conf file with Kate. Then add these lines to the bottom of the file:
    Code:

    [keyfile] unmanaged-devices=interface-name:lo
    and save it. Then restart NetworkManager with this command:
    Thanks, that worked fine (although the command to restart NetworkManager failed and I had to reboot the computer for it to take effect). Now the 'lo' interface no longer appears in the network connections preferences, which is what I wanted.


    Come to think of it, you can do this with your other connection too:
    Code:

    unmanaged-devices=interface-name:Conexión cableada
    just below the previous line in the above post.
    In this case I think I explained it wrong. In other words, what I want is for the 'Conexión cableada' network interface to APPEAR in the tray, just as it appears in the network connections preferences window. For some reason that interface does not appear and this has started to happen since yesterday, since before it did appear even though there was never a cable connected to it.
    Regards...












    Leave a comment:


  • oshunluvr
    replied
    AFAIK, there shouldn't be any files in that folder except for netplan configuration.

    Leave a comment:


  • oshunluvr
    replied
    Originally posted by Supersayano View Post
    In /etc/netplan/ there are 5 files. One of them called 01-network-manager-all.yaml contains this:

    network:
    version: 2
    renderer: NetworkManager


    Does that mean I'm using NetworkManager to manage my devices?.

    The other 4 files seem to correspond to one of the network interfaces. I even noticed with horror that the wifi password appears in plain text in them, which I don't know if it's normal. If necessary I'll put the content of said files here by editing the passwords, but I suppose that to find out if I use NetworkManager or systemd-networkd that's enough, right?
    Greetings...
    I'd be interested in the file list, not necessarily all the contents if they're just interface files. Probably you can delete the one referring to the wifi you don't want to see. And yes, you're using NetworkManager.

    Leave a comment:


  • oshunluvr
    replied
    Come to think of it, you can do this with your other connection too:

    Code:
    unmanaged-devices=interface-name:Conexión cableada
    just below the previous line in the above post.

    However, note this removes them from showing in the Networking systray widget but not from the Network Manager interface.
    ​

    Leave a comment:


  • Supersayano
    replied
    In /etc/netplan/ there are 5 files. One of them called 01-network-manager-all.yaml contains this:

    network:
    version: 2
    renderer: NetworkManager


    Does that mean I'm using NetworkManager to manage my devices?.

    The other 4 files seem to correspond to one of the network interfaces. I even noticed with horror that the wifi password appears in plain text in them, which I don't know if it's normal. If necessary I'll put the content of said files here by editing the passwords, but I suppose that to find out if I use NetworkManager or systemd-networkd that's enough, right?
    Greetings...

    Leave a comment:

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X