Two problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Two problems.

Here we go again, with all the idiotic, niggling problems.
    1. This time, Fx doesn't come up with the previous sessions' tabs, though it's set to. Is this a Firefox problem (I doubt it) or a 24.04 implementation problem (probably)?
    Btw, another such problem I've had with the last two installations of Kub., 22.04 & 23.10, was that I couldn't modify a file name before saving it from a web browser. Now I can, as it used to be. One problem replaced with another.
    2. Using KDE Connect to sync this new 24.04 with my laptop's 23.10 (not yet upgraded), I'm told that "All paired devices are unavailable." How do I get their availability?

Btw, I love KDE Connect. It's a really useful app.
    Last edited by RLynwood; Apr 30, 2024, 04:13 PM.

Regarding 1.
    • Firefox Snap, Firefox Flatpak or "traditional" Firefox (and if the latter installed how? PPA, repository, the install traditional Firefox script or by hand?)?
      If it is the Snap: did you try the install traditional Firefox script and tested if this also occurs with the "traditional" Firefox (you can install it with the script additionally to the Snap without any problems)?
    • Did you copy your old user files or is this a completely new user? If it is not the latter: try new user account.
    • Did you start with a saved Plasma session or a new one? If it is not the latter: try disabling it in --> System Settings --> Startup and Shutdown --> Desktop Session --> Session Restore --> enable Start with an empty session --> log out and in again.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 01, 2024, 02:59 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I had only 24.04's regular, snapped Fx. Followed your scripted instructions to install Mozilla's Fx. Works great! I'm using it now. But I can't pin it to the Task bar (replacing the snapped one). But I didn't see the advice to de-snap the entire 24.04 before doing de-snapping Fx. So, now I'll have to de-snap the distro.
      I don't understand your second bullet. I didn't know I had to save a Plasma session. In the past, when booting, rebooting, or logging out/in, Kub. simply replaces almost all apps that I'd had up. That's a fantastic feature which I love.

Comment

The default setting of Kubuntu in System Settings is to save the Plasma session (meaning: your programs that were open when you rebooted your computer will be openend more or less exactly as the were when you start the computer again = "session restore"). This feature is not exclusive to the Plasma desktop - other DEs have that too.
        This can rarely cause strange things when the according saved file is e.g. corrupt, thus my suggestion.
        By disabling this setting (or enabling the setting not to do it = "empty session") this gets removed and can be created anew (only when you log out and in again respectively).
        --> change this setting = enable "start with empty session" --> log out or reboot --> log in --> test if this changed anything --> change the setting back if you like --> log out or reboot --> log in --> test if this changed anything.
        Just one possibility…
        It can also simply have to do with the fact that the Firefox you used is a Snap - I have never tested "session restore" with Snaps

---

Edit:
        I re-tested everything (again):

The icon of the "traditional" Firefox can be pinned to the task bar with or without the Firefox Snap icon present - I just re-tested this. Together with the Snap icon this confuses Plasma a bit sometimes, though… So I would not recommend this.

The "traditional" Firefox can be used together with the Firefox Snap, but not at the same time.
        --> One thing you can't do most times is using them at the same time = having both the "traditional" Firefox and the Firefox Snap simultaneously open (but his also can depend on some things like which one you opened first and how much time went by before you additionally open the other one…).

In all cases and all Kubuntus >= 22.04 the "traditional" Firefox can be used with or without the Firefox Snap present and with or without the whole Snap functionality present with no problems in all the tests I have done during the last years.
        --> So there is no need at all to "de-snap" your Kubuntu for this!

You can remove the Firefox Snap by sudo snap remove firefox or sudo snap purge firefox if you wish to do so.
        Or feel free to remove Snap alltogether, of course!

PS: I wonder how the repository version of Firefox behaves in combination with the Snap and the Plasma Panel - probably the same…
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 02, 2024, 05:43 AM. Reason: EDIT (again)

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

OT:

I will test the behaviour when "starting both the 'traditional' Firefox and the Firefox Snap = trying to use them simultaneously" further - and probably add a warning to the "Known issues / bugs" section of the READ MEs and one to the script itself.
          Honestly I have not had the slightest motivation to start and use them both simultaneously so far…

Crap, I wanted to go to sleep half an hour ago.
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 02, 2024, 05:44 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I saw that System Settings' session saving feature you mentioned. Thanks.
            I'm copying files from a flash drive to this 24.04 and have quite a while to go. When that's finished, I'll follow your instructions to test the Moz. Fx session restoration.
            You don't have to test the simultaneous use of the two Fxs for me, at least not now.
            Thanks for your patience and very articulate and thorough instructions, which I really appreciate. Not common at all.
            Pleasant dreams.

Comment

Moz. Fx comes up with complete previous session. One more problem solved.

Comment

OT:

Added a warning to the READ MEs, changed (and improved) and tested the scripts accordingly several times and uploaded new versions of the install traditional Firefox script and the install traditional Thunderbird script.

If you have already used the scripts --> to also get the improvements of the new versions just
                1. run both scripts again
                  and
                2. choose [2] to remove Firefox/Thunderbird from /opt (this will not touch your user data and settings in your /home directory - I just re-tested this with my main system among others: several hundreds of Firefox links and several tens of thousands of emails in Thunderbird - nothing was removed or altered!).
                3. Immediatly re-run the scripts afterwards
                  and
                4. choose [1] to re-install Firefox/Thunderbird​.
                Good Night!
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 02, 2024, 06:01 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Working...
                X