Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(24.04 REGRESSION) Plasma not starts and freeze in wayland session on nvidia proprietary driver 535

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(24.04 REGRESSION) Plasma not starts and freeze in wayland session on nvidia proprietary driver 535

Issue in title.
    With Kubuntu 23.10 no problem with Wayland on GTX980M. Wayland session works good. Ubuntu 24.04 also all OK.
    Also is issue with text scale in X11 session on proprietary driver on any version.
    As a result, Kubuntu 24.04 is now completely inoperable in my case.

Welcome.

Nvidia has always been problematic in Linux, even more so in combination with Wayland.
    That said: the latest supported driver for your GeForce GTX 980M graphics card in Kubuntu 24.04 LTS is nvidia-driver-550 according to the Nvidia website.
    -> Perhaps the 550.x driver version can solve your problem.

And here are two citations generally regarding Wayland in Kubuntu 24.04 LTS :

From the Kubuntu 24.04 LTS release notes.
    -> "A Plasma Wayland session is available for testing by installing the plasma-workspace-wayland package, but is not supported. A Wayland session can then be started by selecting it at the login screen."

From apt info kwin-wayland, version 5.27.11 in Kubuntu 24.04 LTS.
    -> "This package provides the wayland version, which is still a work in progress project, and is available as a PREVIEW release. Don't expect the same stability as with the x11 version.​"​
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 26, 2024, 04:29 AM. Reason: addition
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

This worked well in Kubuntu 23.04, 23.10.
      I think LTS releases should work more stable, but it's the opposite. It's not so easy with X11 on Kubuntu, I can't fix the text scaling on X11 session.
      Bug is only in Kubuntu. KDE Neon (Hope Plasma 6 fix it) also work with wayland and has normal scaling in both X11 and Wayland. All tested with proprietary drivers.

Comment

As Wayland itself is still a "work in progress" the Kubuntu LTS releases with Plasma 5 are "more stable" by not providing a Wayland session by default.

Perhaps the Kubuntu Backports PPA will provide Plasma 6 for Kubuntu 24.04 LTS in good time… Plasma 6 works better with Wayland (and should also be working better with Nvidia).
        One way to find out is to test this with e.g. openSUSE Tumbleweed or Endeavor OS (Arch).
        Depending on your use case I would possibly not recommend KDE neon - see Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings and the citations from the KDE neon FAQ.

-> Did you already try the 550.x driver?
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 26, 2024, 04:44 AM. Reason: added link
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Yes, I tried 550 driver, it doesn't change anything.

Comment

Problem described here: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...drivers/269794 the same error. I’m add nvidia-drm.modeset=1 and fbdev=1, driver 550 and Plasma now work. But seems it not good solution, For example, the cursor may leave artifacts on the taskbar. May be is good solution for this error? How fix it? MESA-LOADER: failed to open simpledrm: /usr/lib/dri/simpledrm_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
            Last edited by Kitsune2222; Apr 26, 2024, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X