UEFI vs Dolphin and KDE Partition Manager Device Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] UEFI vs Dolphin and KDE Partition Manager Device Identification

Is it my imagination; I don't think it is; or does Dolphin and KDE Partition Manager identify the devices differently than does the UEFI?

I have two PCIe Gen 4 NVMe M.2 drives in my PC:

/dev/nvme0n1
    /dev/nvme1n1

I'm booted to /dev/nvme0n1, and that's confirmed by looking at /etc/fstab and by looking at the drives layout: /boot/efi = 512.00 MiB, / = 1.82 TiB, unallocated = 1.07 MiB.

Both Dolphin and KDE Partition Manager are reporting this device as /dev/nvme1n1.

Why!
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 14, 2024, 10:00 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Hm - you are talking about UEFI (and not "legacy" BIOS) and device paths assigned during boot vs. Dolphin and KDE Partition Manager here, correct?

The only similar phenomenon I have come across is when certain distributions interchange the order of attached SATA devices during boot…
    But then their display in lsblk -f and e.g. Dolphin are still the same.

Would you consider to post e.g. your output of both sudo efibootmgr -v and lsblk -e7 -o NAME,MOUNTPOINT,UUID,PARTUUID and your /etc/fstab and a screenshot of e.g. the display in KDE Partition Manager ?
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 14, 2024, 03:09 PM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	efibootmgr_-v.png Views:	0 Size:	357.7 KB ID:	678212 Click image for larger version  Name:	lsblk_-e7_-o.png Views:	0 Size:	373.5 KB ID:	678213 Click image for larger version  Name:	lsblk_-f.png Views:	0 Size:	413.5 KB ID:	678214 Click image for larger version  Name:	fstab.png Views:	0 Size:	393.2 KB ID:	678215 Click image for larger version  Name:	Dolphin.png Views:	0 Size:	129.3 KB ID:	678216
      In the last image; Dolphin; the right pane is, and per its displayed content confirmed, my home folder on the booted drive, but Dolphin reports it as Device nvme1n1p2. Note that fstab; image above Dolphin; shows I'm booted from nvme0n1p2.
      Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 14, 2024, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Both /etc/fstab and lsblk (compare the UUIDs) show that your /home is on nvme1 and additionally efibootmgr shows that your default boot is from nvme1.
        The only thing that seems wrong here is the comment in /etc/fstab - so Dolphin's display is correct.

I often have to correct the comments in /etc/fstabs too - especially when I am juggling with /boot/efi or /swap partitions…
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 15, 2024, 04:00 AM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          The only thing that seems wrong here is the comment in /etc/fstab
          Thank you for pointing that out.

This was a new installation yesterday, onto my second NVMe M.2 drive. I was very careful, and checked/double checked, that I pointed the installer to that drive. I wanted to keep the initial installation on the first NVMe M.2 drive untouched. I was perplexed when it 'looked' like the new install was being reported as on the first drive, even though visual evidence of contents indicated otherwise.

I wonder if this is an overlooked, but minor, bug when installing a second (or more?) OS to UEFI that already had one (and only one?) installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            […]
            I wonder if this is an overlooked, but minor, bug when installing a second (or more?) OS to UEFI that already had one (and only one?) installation.
            Probably…
            There are several "bugs" or "inconveniences" that can occur during the installation process and which you have to correct manually in /etc/fstab afterwards, e.g. when you install to a different ESP when multiple ESPs are present. Most of them occur with Ubuntu's installers, but others also with e.g. Calamares.
            The best and most bug-free installers are Debian's and openSUSE's in my experience…

Comment

Working...
            X