ZFS root

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZFS root

I presume, the ZFS is not added into installation like at Ubuntu. Is there any manual procedure documented how to install Kubuntu to ZFS root? I would really like to avoid experimenting.

(In advance, ext4 doesnt have features I need, btrfs corrupted my data two times in the past and I dont trust it at all. On the other side, I had 0 issues with ZFS for more than 15 years (FreeBSD) and it is one of my primary requirements for distribution - I have no problems installing it manually, was running fedora on it when it had no support. On the other side, I will be very sad if I will have to use Ubuntu or Mint with KDE.)

Welcome.

Not quite for Kubuntu 23.10, but perhaps this will also be of interest to you:
    I just tested another installation with the Kubuntu 24.04 LTS development branch (and the new Calamares installer) - at least I can say that there is no graphical option to use ZFS, even if you choose "Manual Partitioning" there isn't…
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 18, 2024, 05:28 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      Welcome.

Not quite for Kubuntu 23.10, but perhaps this will also be of interest to you:
      I just tested another installation with the Kubuntu 24.04 LTS development branch (and the new Calamares installer) - at least I can say that there is no graphical option to use ZFS, even if you choose "Manual Partitioning" there isn't…
      Unfortunately it is not about graphical option but for distribution actually supporting the ZFS and acknowledging it is there. I dont need snapshots on every install, will do them myself. With fedora i had to be very careful when there was update to the boot loader to also include zfs kernel module or I would end with unbootable system. It was simple to fix but I really dont want to play that cat and mouse game anymore. I just dont understand why linux world doesnt acknowledge the zfs as superior to everything it has to offer and just simply support better solution.

Anyway, I have just tried Ubuntu in vm and it does support zfs, so instead of Kubuntu it will be Ubuntu + KDE. Will look if on next install of the system (since it is hard to crash with some clumsy update due to snapshots, it will take a few years - I am currently still a happy camper on 20.04) if Kubuntu actually decided to add zfs.

1 potential Kubuntu user less, mission accomplished successfully.

Comment

If it works in Ubuntu it should also work in Kubuntu - they are the same apart from the installer (and its options) and the desktop environment.
        You will just have to do it "by hand" in Kubuntu.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 18, 2024, 07:34 AM.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
        X