No announcement yet.

Grub Label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still, the name was iirc created by adding a "K" to "Ubuntu", with the word having possible real meanings being a side benefit.
    As a rabbit hole task, one might see if this translation is actually accurate or at least verifiable.

While I don't personally care for the name, it sure didn't keep me away from it for these past 18 years

Comment

Kubuntu Wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubu...DE%20community.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Sure, but what actual language or translation-based sources confirm this? Note that Wikipedia lists no source for this translation, and the other one (for "free" in a different language) only cites Kubuntu itself.

The internet said so so it must be true

Click image for larger version  Name:	down_the_rabbit_hole.gif Views:	0 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	676646

Comment

I think the simplest explanation is best, that Kubuntu got its name by adding K (for the KDE Desktop) to Ubuntu.

Comment

And it's still Ubuntu, with side order, and it looks prettier
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              […]
              The internet said so so it must be true
              This is the way!
              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                This is the way!
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post

> Kubuntu means "towards humanity" in Bemba.

> A rough translation of the principle of Ubuntu is "humanity towards others". Another translation
                  > could be: "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity".​

Kubuntu Wiki:
                  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubu...DE%20community.
                  Also:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080307...tu.org/faq.php

https://help.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desk...t-kubuntu.html

and anyone can look for "kubuntu" in Google Translator. It's auto-detected as a zulu word, with that meaning: "in humanity".

Click image for larger version  Name:	imagen.png Views:	0 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	676692
                  Last edited by Ganton; Feb 07, 2024, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Bemba =/= Zulu

And just because someone on the internet (Kubuntu) says so doesn't make it so, without any sources (Bemba translations).

I vaguely recall discussion about the name from the early days, and it was just a K added to ubuntu, with the positive side effect of being a plausible word in real life.
                    I could have bad memories, for sure. Plus, what does "in humanity" even mean??

But this is beating a very dead horse.

Comment

The Bemba language is related to the Zulu one. There are words that are common to, for example, Spanish, Italian, etc.

> > Kubuntu is a crappy name
                      > Kubuntu means "towards humanity" in Bemba.
                      > A rough translation of the principle of Ubuntu is "humanity towards others". Another translation
                      > could be: "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity".​​

That's not "a crappy name".

We can see
                      - https://help.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desk...t-kubuntu.html
                      - https://web.archive.org/web/20080307...tu.org/faq.php
                      - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu
                      and we can see Google Translator.

Comment

Ubuntu means:
                        "Ubuntu" is sometimes translated as "I am because we are" (also "I am because you are"), or "humanity towards others" (Zulu umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu). In Xhosa, the latter term is used, but is often meant in a more philosophical sense to mean "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity".​
                        Kubuntu is simply Ubuntu with a "K", and because of KDE. Also, Kubuntu IS Ubuntu with a different human visual interaction.
                        The next brick house on the left
                        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

I am 95 85 75 65% sure I had asked the creators (riddell and sitter) about the name back in 2005. 50%? It was nearly 20 years ago now

Comment

Yes, it's a Wiki page but...

Kubuntu

Comment

No-one has made this point yet....
                              Originally posted by Uberarchangel View Post
                              Grub saying Ubuntu by default instead of Kubuntu.
                              Plus dual boot with Ubuntu and Kubuntu gets interesting.
                              Grub says "Kubuntu" for me, because I manually maintain grub.cfg. IMO the whole grub machinery to generate grub.cfg is an unreliable mess, like a Heath Robinson (in American that's Rube Goldberg) cartoon. The generated grub.cfg has about 300 lines, with only one OS, and a simplified one can be about 15 lines. There's no need to update the simplified grub.cfg on new kernels; with a few sym links there's often no need to even manually revise grub.cfg after a new install.

IMO if there is more than one bootable install, in the long run it is far less work to make grub independent of any particular install. The most work is to stop OS installers from messing with the set up, or fixing it up after they have.
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

There are several workarounds to change Ubuntu to Kubuntu (or to any other "flavour") in a boot menu, e.g.
                                • modifying GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR in /etc/default/grub
                                • using a customized grub.cfg / additional custom.cfg
                                • using a different boot manager like rEFInd
                                Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                                Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                                install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
                                X